Alliance for Justice (AFJ), a national association of more than 140 organizations dedicated to advancing justice and democracy, and Alliance for Justice Action Campaign (AFJ Action), an affiliated advocacy organization, are seeking an Aron Justice Council to act as counsel for the Federal Courts team. Named for AFJ’s founder, Nan Aron, the Aron Justice Counsel will report to the Legal Director, Federal Courts, and help to execute on AFJ’s vision for a nomination and confirmation process that places movement lawyers on the bench and builds power for the broader progressive movement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Legal Director, Federal Courts, in coordinating all aspects of vetting judicial nominees.
- Develop research priorities, and draft, review, and edit research materials for our federal courts and access to justice portfolios.
- Assist Legal Director, Federal Courts, with direct lobbying strategy and execute that strategy by staffing meetings with congressional offices.
- Represent to AFJ’s members, particularly those progressive nonprofits with litigating agendas before the federal courts, and coalition members at the Leadership Conference’s Fair Courts Task Force.
- Ability to complete short and long-term projects from start to finish, including delegation and timeline setting as needed. Ability to coordinate deliverables across multiple Federal Courts team members and other internal organizational collaborators.
- Conduct briefings for reporters (including on the record), academics, the Board of Directors, member organizations, and other audiences.
- Draft reports, op-eds, and fact sheets designed to advance the federal courts agenda.
- Oversee coordination with law firms, outside counsel, law students, and non-attorney volunteers in advancing the federal courts agenda.
- Coordinate with the communications and outreach teams to drive forward an advocacy agenda on the federal courts including, but not limited to, key federal cases and nominees.
- Provide thought leadership, project management, and the execution of in person and online events on topics related to the federal courts.
- Speak at rallies, legal and policy conferences, and events hosted by allied organizations and foundations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- J.D. and 3-8 years of experience in legal policy or advocacy work;
- Hill or lobbying experience strongly preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, writing and speaking skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law;
- Experience in civil rights, labor, environmental, consumer and/or constitutional law preferred;
- Ability to inspire and work collegially with others; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude.
This is a union position covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035, which includes salary minimums based on job position category. This position is in Group 5 with a salary minimum of $85,000.
AFJ also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits program:
Health – We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Savings – Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Health savings account and flexible spending account. Other insurances include life and disability.
Time – We have a generous paid time off policy. Vacation – 11 days vacation first year of employment, 15 days second year and after 3 years get 21 days of vacation.
Sick – 10 days per year. Bereavement – Employees are granted 3 days of bereavement for immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, grandmother, etc.) deaths.
Family -We provide up to 12 weeks paid leave.
This is an exempt position that has no direct reports.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with 1 hour of paid leave for lunch, daily. AFJ offices are currently working a hybrid schedule.
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.