Associate Director of Development
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to equitably decarbonize buildings in this decade to improve the livability of our communities. Our partnerships with real estate businesses, local communities, and government leaders provide unique insight into how to make this vision a reality. IMT is seeking an Associate Director of Development to help advance our capabilities through strategic fundraising.
This role is key to ensuring that IMT remains at the forefront of market-based solutions to today’s climate and energy challenges, and offers room for both innovation and growth. As IMT’s Associate Director of Development, you will manage the organization’s growing funding base and work with senior leadership to develop new partnerships and revenue opportunities. You will lead the continued evolution of a multifaceted advancement strategy, providing clear recommendations for program evolution and managing its execution. Working with senior IMT staff and partners, you will steward existing funder relationships, cultivate recently launched membership programs, and help design new opportunities to generate funding from corporate, government, and philanthropic partners, as well as major individual donors.
- Work with IMT finance staff to coordinate budget development and grant reporting;
- Oversee IMT’s Senior Development Associate in managing the delivery of deadlines and reports;
- Forge and strengthen relationships with the foundation community;
- Oversee the continued growth and maintenance of an active pipeline to expand IMT’s donor base to increase our impact and financial resources
- Contribute to other priority projects as needed.
Strategy and Leadership
- Lead the implementation of a multifaceted development program that robustly supports IMT’s mission, and that serves to expand and diversify IMT’s donor base and pipeline;
- Revise the development strategy and revenue streams on a periodic basis as part of the IMT Strategic Plan, aligning development targets and strategies with IMT’s business and program priorities;
- Work with Managing Directors and Program Directors to identify critical initiatives and priority projects, and develop the business case with them for donor support;
- Work with IMT’s Managing Directors to ideate strategies that elevate IMT’s impact, with a focus on coalition building and fundraising deployment strategy and material creation for a fundraising audience;
- Support the Executive Director and key program staff as they interact with donors, briefing them in advance and supporting their outreach efforts;
- Oversee the creation of the organization’s development outreach materials.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will be an experienced development professional with a minimum of five years fundraising experience in a nonprofit organization. In addition, they will demonstrate:
- Interpersonal skills, strategic and critical thinking, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to take initiative;
- Comfortable working with limited direction;
- A proven record of success growing revenue from foundation, corporate, and/or major donors;
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills, including grant and report writing and editing;
- Strong experience managing and meeting multiple deadlines simultaneously;
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to guide teams to consensus;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; and
- Knowledge of environmental and/or energy efficiency issues and their associated funding communities is preferred.
This is a full-time managerial position supervising a Development Associate and reporting to the Managing Director of Communications and Development, with a preference for someone located in Washington, DC. However, remote employment will be considered. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $100,000 to $115,000, commensurate with experience and based on geographic location. In addition, IMT offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and one writing sample (blog post, pitch letter, grant proposal, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Associate Director – Development” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy, and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity—including racial, ethnic, and gender—and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.