Baby2Baby is a mega diaper bank providing essential items to children in need across the country. Incorporated as a 5013c3 in 2014, over the last 10 years Baby2Baby has distributed over 200 million items to children in homeless shelters, domestic violence programs, foster care, hospitals, and underserved schools as well as to children who have lost everything in the wake of disaster.
In 2006, three mothers from Los Angeles founded Baby2Baby to begin the work of giving back to children in need. In 2011, Co-CEOs, Kelly Sawyer Patricof and Norah Weinstein expanded the Los Angeles program and began building it into a leading national organization serving children living in poverty. In April of that year, national press coverage of the organization’s newly formed Board and Angel group led to its first donation of 100,000 diapers from Huggies.
The first Baby2Baby Gala, held in 2012, raised $1 million. The event was celebrated by celebrities, entrepreneurs, and philanthropists as well as the top chefs in Los Angeles. This year’s 10th anniversary Gala, presented by Paul Mitchell and honoring Vanessa Bryant, raised more than $8.5 million to provide essential items for children in more than 150 cities across the country.
Throughout the pandemic, Baby2Baby has distributed over 100 million basic essentials including diapers, formula, soap, shampoos and food to children and families impacted by COVID-19. In recognition of its pandemic distribution model and their decision to manufacture their own diapers to distribute to the families they serve, Fast Company named Baby2Baby the #1 Nonprofit on its most innovative companies list. In keeping with their creative, solutions-oriented approach and in response to the nationwide formula shortage, Baby2Baby is having formula made at a fraction of the retail cost and donating it to families throughout the U.S.
Headquartered in Los Angeles and overseen by a 14-person Board of Directors, Baby2Baby operates with a $17 million budget and 36 staff. For more information, please visit: https://baby2baby.org/
Baby2Baby provides children living in poverty with diapers, clothing and all the basic necessities that every child deserves.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for a financial professional to define processes and build a foundation to support Baby2Baby’s long-term growth. The successful candidate will directly increase the organization’s impact on children and families across the country.
Reporting to the Co-CEOs and with oversight of the accounting team, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be responsible for the organization’s finances and financial forecasting. In addition, they will oversee general accounting, grant tracking and management, internal audits, and external tax and audit preparation. The CFO will set financial policy and direction while also contributing to organizational strategy and planning. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will collaborate with the Co-CEOs and COO to review the organization and program budgets, cost allocations, and payroll and benefits administration. Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Partner with the Co-CEOs and COO on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems;
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to leadership, helping to translate the organization’s mission into specific strategies and tactics;
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for warehouse distribution, community and volunteer teams;
- Partner with COO to ensure program success through cost analysis support and compliance with all contractual and program requirements;
- Collaborate with department heads to develop and update financial plans including department budgets and actuals.
- Develop and execute financial management strategy, including revenue management and planning;
- Serve as primary liaison to the investment advisors, ensuring investment portfolio is managed in keeping with the organization’s policies and risk tolerance;
- Manage ongoing budgeting, financial forecasting, cash reporting, and monitoring of banking activities;
- In partnership with the fundraising teams, project and track all gala related expenses;
- Ensure accurate reporting of cash and in-kind transactions; develop and maintain excellent internal controls to monitor program costs and operating expenses;
- Remain current on changes to all laws and pertinent local, state, and federal guidelines which may impact the financial and administrative operations of the organization; interpret and advise on implications of these changes;
- Prepare and present monthly/annual financial reports and key operating metrics to leadership team and Board of Directors; prepare other reports and materials as needed for prospective and existing donors as well as the Board of Directors.
- Evaluate existing operations to recommend and implement improvements in productivity and accuracy;
- Oversee contract management for vendor and donor relationships; manage relationship with outside counsel on legal matters;
- Manage insurance renewals and rates including Workers’ Comp, Liability, and other policies;
- Work closely with Human Resources on payroll and benefits administration.
Baby2Baby is seeking a strategic nonprofit finance professional with strong operational skills and experience scaling for growth. Ideally, the new CFO will have the following:
- At least 10 years’ professional experience, including financial leadership in a $15+ million organization;
- Financial management and accounting experience in the nonprofit sector; prior experience tracking and reporting in-kind gifts is ideal;
- Proficiency in the tenets of nonprofit legal, audit, compliance and resource development;
- Resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems;
- Strong technical skills including expertise with spreadsheets;
- Budget forecasting experience in a complex organization with diverse revenue streams;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management or Finance; M.B.A. strongly preferred.
The successful candidate will be a flexible and collaborative leader who will bring innovations and energy to the team. They will be motivated to support Baby2Baby’s growth and will be passionate about providing basic necessities to children in need. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Integrity, credibility, and a commitment to Baby2Baby’s mission;
- An approachable, flexible, and collaborative leadership style;
- The ability to multi-task while also being highly detail oriented;
- Comfort with independent, self-directed work;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is highly desirable.
Our client is offering a competitive salary, commensurate with the professional experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. Baby2Baby’s benefits package includes 100% employer paid health, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance. Additional benefits include a SIMPLE IRA plan with a 3% match.
Reimbursement toward basic relocation expenses will be considered for the exceptional candidate they are seeking.
Baby2Baby operates from three locations in Los Angeles, CA. The CFO will work in the Culver City office. Administrative and executive staff are currently working on a hybrid schedule.
Please submit a résumé and original cover letter that describes your interest in the organization’s mission and qualifications for the position as attachments through our online application portal or via e-mail to:
Michelle Kristel, Managing Partner
1740 Broadway, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.531.5003 | Fax: 212.203.9599
All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. Please note that your education, dates of employment and other information will be verified prior to an offer.
McCormack + Kristel works only with equal opportunity employers. Baby2Baby is committed to having the rich diversity of its community reflected in its workforce.