BoardWalk Consulting has been retained to conduct the search for the Executive Director for Children’s Harbor in Birmingham, AL.
Children’s Harbor’s mission is to serve seriously ill children and their families through unique, no-cost services at both the Family Center, located at the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children in Birmingham, AL and at the Lake Martin Retreat Facility in Alexander City, Alabama. Children’s Harbor has been in service since 1989.
With an operating budget of more than $3.5 million and a 38 person staff, Children’s Harbor is poised to increase and expand its service offering in Alabama and to provide Children’s Harbor’ services to children and families in other states.
In partnership with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will:
Capably and consistently lead Children’s Harbor with passion adhering to the core values of the organization.
Develop and drive a vision and strategy for the organization in tandem with the board that challenges the organization to think boldly about its future.
Be an outgoing and engaging representative for Children’s Harbor and advocate for its role and mission.
Actively participate in Children’s Harbor fundraising efforts to grow income.
Develop and shape a bold vision for the future of Children’s harbor and ensure that the organization achieves its aspirations.
Children’s harbor is seeking an Executive Director with the following attributes:
- Passion for the mission of Children’s Harbor
- Strong financial and business acumen
- A compelling, energizing and inviting presence, with high emotional intelligence, listening, and communication skills
- The ability to lead, inspire and mobilize people to accomplish important goals
- Experience in scaling business initiatives and growing programs
- A vision for how to increase the visibility and awareness of an organizational brand through traditional and digital media
- A strong commitment to the professional development of staff
- The ability to create and grow a strong organizational culture that is reflected in productive, positive relationships with Board and staff members, donors, leaders and healthcare partners throughout the U.S.
- Familiarity with strategy, planning and driving consensus around a common vision – and the courage to implement change
- The ability to present and communicate clearly, persuasively and compassionately to audiences that include the media, elected officials, civic clubs, peers, current and future partners, donors and corporate leaders
- Experience in working successfully with nonprofit boards
- Fundraising, revenue generation and/or experience with business development
- The ability to foster an environment of innovation, accountability, creativity that in tandem lead to effectiveness and measurable results
- Leadership experience in a comparable growth-oriented organization of similar size and complexity
To apply or suggest a prospective candidate for this position, please email Children’sHarbor@BoardWalkConsulting.com or contact Paula Nicholas at 404.420.5851.