EXECUTIVE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
SARATOGA REGIONAL YMCA
Address: 290 West Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866-4205
The Saratoga Regional YMCA is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
Position Description and Board Expectations:
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to build a culture that supports and retains outstanding staff and an active, diverse volunteer board of directors and its respective committees. The CEO will be visible in the community and active in the development of meaningful community partnerships with other not-for-profit organizations, public sector entities and businesses. The CEO will ensure that our cause-driven YMCA can deliver on our brand promise of strengthening community through Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
The board believes its new CEO should be an experienced leader who has the background and qualities that will permit him or her to achieve excellence in the following roles:
- Lead an Effective Staff Team/Build a Positive and Productive Culture: Establishyourself as a leader who can motivate, engage, and retain staff in a positive and productive manner by creating and setting an expectation for excellence. Demonstrate an engaging, open, positive and inclusive leadership style with a proven history of displaying integrity, high regard for honesty and courage and an open mind to unconventional and new ways of improving services and expanding impact.
Key competencies sought include: Team building, appreciation, listening, visionary leadership, staff development and retention, energy and passion.
- Advocate the YMCA Vision within the Saratoga County Springs Service Area: Be an advocate for the mission, goals, and values of the Saratoga Regional YMCA. Serve as a spokesperson with a contagious effect on others. Create strategic and successful relationships with influential leaders, potential donors, members and organizations in our communities, with an eye toward leveraging those relationships that will be mutually beneficial to those involved.
Key competencies sought include: An understanding of the principles of collaboration, excellent communication skills, persuasiveness, and integrity.
- Provide Vision and Strategic Leadership: Lead the Saratoga Regional YMCA in an effort that rallies all our stakeholders to achieve a strategic plan that aligns with the mission and vision of the Saratoga Regional YMCA. By partnering with staff, boards, our members and the community, the CEO will create a plan that drives collective and bold impact to address critical social issues in communities served.
Key competencies sought include: Vision, strategic planning, building consensus, accountability, leadership, communication skills and influence.
- Nurture a Mission-Driven Culture: Continue to strengthen a culture of inclusion, integrity, character and life-long learning within the Saratoga Regional YMCA that reinforces, encourages, and promotes values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. In congruence with the SRYMCA’s mission, seek to foster an environment where diversity is celebrated and where all members, program participants, community individuals, volunteers, and staff can reach their fullest potential.
Key competencies sought include: Inclusion, relationship development, values, change capacity, emotional maturity.
- Financial Development and Building a Culture of Philanthropy: Serve as the leader in fundraising efforts by partnering with the board and senior staff to establish a plan for how the Saratoga Regional YMCA will continue to raise contributed dollars for service growth, keeping programs affordable for all and continued facility improvements and expansion. Must be able to position the Y as a charity of choice by instilling confidence, credibility, and trust in the Saratoga Regional YMCA with community leaders and donors.
Key competencies sought include: Goal setting, persuasion, closing skills, networking, and an ability to get others to support the Y’s cause.
Salary Range: $165,000-$190,000 annual base salary; commensurate with experience. Performance based incentives are offered at time of annual review.
Residency Expectation: Living in the YMCA’s service area is strongly preferred.
Benefits: Health care, vacation plan, retirement plan and other benefits per the personnel policy included.
Minimum Candidate Criteria:
- Accredited 4-year college degree (required; non-negotiable).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Personal values consistent with the YMCA mission.
- Minimum five years’ prior experience in a senior management role with a YMCA or related organization of comparable complexity, direct supervision of multiple levels of staff and multiple sites/locations.
- Proven track record of developing and strengthening community relationships.
- Ability to develop new programs, review and enhance programs being offered or considered for both economy and the effectiveness in broadening our engagement.
Preferred Candidate Criteria:
- YMCA Organizational Leader Certification (Note: Candidates not already in possession of this certification have up to three years to obtain via YMCA of the USA).
- Fiscally sound business management approach with a proven track record of budgetary and fiscal management of $3M or more annually.
- Strategic planning and fundraising experience including annual and capital campaigns and the securing of grants.
Saratoga Regional YMCA Association Facts:
The Saratoga Regional YMCA was established in 1866 and has met community needs for 150 years. Our Y Community is made up of individuals of all ages and backgrounds. We encourage our members to set goals for healthy living and provide the resources and support needed to belong, grow, and thrive. Today our focus is on physical health, obesity prevention, youth, teen and child care programs, including before and after school care for the children of working parents. As the needs and demands of our community evolve, the Saratoga Regional YMCA will be there to serve in new and changing ways.
Mission Statement: The Saratoga Regional YMCA is a charitable association that is dedicated to building a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Service Area: (Saratoga and Southern Washington Counties) – Ballston Spa/Malta, Cambridge, Corinth, Gansevoort/Wilton, Greenfield, Greenwich, Middle Grove, Porter Corners, Rock City Falls, Saratoga Springs, Schuylerville and Victory Mills. Branch/Program Center Locations: Five (5) branch locations serving over 26,000 members.
Website for more information: www.srymca.org
History: For over 150 years the Saratoga Springs Regional YMCA has serviced the ever increasing needs of our community. For more information about the history of the Saratoga Springs Regional YMCA please use the following link to an article entitled, “ Saratoga Springs: A Century of Progress.”
Governance: The Board of Directors consists of up to 20 members and meets eleven times per year. There is a growing committee structure in place including the Executive, Audit, Finance, Human Resource and Marketing & Communication Committees. The Board of Trustees consists of seven members and meets two times per year. Our Trustees are responsible for the fixed assets of our YMCA.
Staff: The YMCA employs approximately 75 full-time, 500 part-time, and 20 seasonal employees. The management team is comprised of 8 professionals inclusive of the CEO. The 7 direct reports to the CEO are as follows: Chief Operations Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Human Resource Director, Marketing Director, Mission Advancement Director, Property Manager, & Administrative Assistant.
Membership: Total membership units of 14,261; equaling 27,500 individual members.
Membership unit mix includes – Youth: 5.2%, College: .77%, Adults: 17.18%, Family: 66.75% and Seniors: 10.1%.
Financial Position: The 2017 operating budget is $13.3M. The association is fiscally healthy. All facilities are new or renovated within the last ten years. Currently there is no long-term debt or capital leases. Endowment is currently just under $1M. The latest balance sheet indicates $23M in assets and only $1.4M in liabilities.
Financial Assistance: The 2017 Annual Scholarship Campaign Goal is $260,000. We are committed to ensuring that our YMCA is truly a place for everyone in our community and in 2016 awarded over $1.38M in scholarships and community benefit.
Attractions and quality of life benefits to living and working in the community:
The city of Saratoga Springs is nestled in beautiful Upstate NY, approximately three hours from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Montreal, Canada. Conveniently located off I-87, Saratoga is centrally located between the Adirondack Park to the north, and the bustling Albany, NY Capital District to the south. Transportation to and from is easily arranged via air, bus, train, or automobile. The storied background of Saratoga is both dramatic and colorful. From the early lore of native Indians and healing waters, to the history-changing Battle of Saratoga during the Revolutionary War, to the captains of industry and moving picture stars that frequented Saratoga in the early days, there is plenty to explore here in the renowned Spa City!
Saratoga is home to America’s oldest thoroughbred racetrack, opened in 1863, offering six weeks of live racing each summer, complemented by evening thoroughbred racing, video gaming and group dining at Saratoga Casino and Raceway, and a 100-year-old polo club offering matches.
There are countless opportunities for exploring the historic sites and museums of this great small city of 25,000 residents. The National Museum of Dance, National Museum of Thoroughbred Racing and Hall of Fame is located here, as is the renowned Tang Museum at Skidmore College.
The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) hosts many distinguished music and dance venues along with pop culture concerts.
Saratoga County Information Sites:
- Saratoga County, NY: www.saratogacountyny.gov
- Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau: www.discoversaratoga.org/
- Saratoga.Com: www.saratoga.com
- Saratoga Springs; Best Of:
- Saratoga Springs: One of 20 Best College Towns for Food
- Saratoga Springs: One Of 10 Best Places To Retire In New York
- Saratoga Springs Named One of The Best Small Cities In New York
- Saratoga Springs Is The Happiest City In New York