Position and Leadership Statement | Chief Philanthropy Officer
The Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) has primary responsibility to plan, create and execute a comprehensive fundraising program that enables RRM to achieve its mission of transforming lives. The CPO provides oversight and leadership for all fundraising efforts, including annual giving, planned giving and an upcoming capital campaign that will get underway in January 2022. Working with the Board of Directors, RRM staff, and others in the community, the CPO reports to the CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The CPO will be an accomplished fundraising professional with skills and experience that include cultivation of major and transformative gifts; donor relations and stewardship; and knowledge of best practices in the field.
- Design and implement a comprehensive program of philanthropy that achieves maximum sustained growth and support for RRM programs and activities
- Represent RRM in the community in a way that reflects the character of the organization, as well as total commitment to its mission
- Build and maintain relationships that are anchored in trust, honesty, and integrity
- Oversee all fundraising and cultivation activities including annual giving, major gifts, capital campaigns, planned giving and special events
- Coordinate and direct an upcoming capital campaign to create a physical facility that will enable RRM to expand its reach and service to its clients
- Participate in strategic planning for RRM with the goal of securing funds to support specific initiatives identified in the plan
- Set benchmarks for program operation, including personal visits to donors and potential donors, community outreach, marketing, and goals for giving
- Guide RRM board members, campaign leaders, and other volunteers in accomplishing the philanthropic goals of the organization
- Ensure proper oversight of the donor database, including both financial and directory information, and be certain systems are in place to ensure total confidentiality and security of that information
Qualities and Qualifications
The CPO will have an innate desire, driven by faith, to do this work. They will believe it is a privilege to serve the clients of RRM and will exhibit that belief in the conduct of their work. They will be detail-oriented and work well in RRM’s team-oriented culture of servant leadership.
- A personal commitment to the mission of Raleigh Rescue Mission
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of three years of experience in fundraising leadership
- A demonstrated track record in securing a broad range of gifts by size and type
- Fundraising experience with a similar organization
- Ability to interact with individuals from all backgrounds and experiences while consistently reflecting the values of RRM
- Self-starter who is motivated by cause and mission, and works well as part of a team
- Outstanding communicator and community representative
- Excellent organizational, project management and interpersonal skills
Raleigh Rescue Mission has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Nominations, expressions of interest, and applications can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. All material will be confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Capital Development Services, 336-747-0133 x 208.