Planned Parenthood North Central States
Clinic Registered Nurse (RN) St. Paul, MN
Starting Wage: $26/hr. (Experience Compensated)
At Planned Parenthood North Central States (PPNCS), we believe all people deserve the right, the freedom, and the opportunity to follow their personal ambitions and choose their own path toward a healthier, more meaningful life. That s why we protect, promote, and provide comprehensive and progressive sexual and reproductive health care for generations of young people and families with empathy, care, and respect. We are looking for passionate, dedicated staff who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and to the Planned Parenthood mission.
Under direct administrative supervision of the Clinic Manager, the Clinic Registered Nurse performs routine clinic duties associated with a reproductive health program within the scope of RN licensure. This position provides excellent customer service and is an advocate in implementing our mission of Affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interview and screen patients, conduct patient history review, and prepare patients for examinations/procedures. Assess, address, or triage patient complaints. Monitor patient vital signs.
- Perform routine laboratory tests including venipuncture. Communicate lab test results. Assure appropriate follow-up of lab reports.
- Provide patient education including explanations of all FDA-approved birth control methods. Provide specific instruction on the patient s selected birth control method.
- Inform patients in a non-directive manner about all options available to them in the event of an unintended pregnancy and provide supporting materials and/or education for service based on patient needs.
- Provide factual, unbiased information to clients seeking abortion.
- Describe the difference between medication and surgical abortion.
- Refer patients per protocol, perform follow-up functions (medical, Pap smear, colposcopy, etc.), and assure complete documentation of care plan. Triage incoming patient medical records to assure appropriate clinician review.
- As eligible, appropriately utilize Condition-Specific Protocol for RNs (Minnesota only) and Condition-Specific Protocol for RN Contraceptive Visits (Minnesota only).
- Administer injections, contraceptive supplies, treatments, and emergency medications.
- Assure inventory control of clinic and contraceptive supplies including ordering, stocking, and tracking.
- Communicate PPNCS protocols, policies, and procedures to clinicians and staff as appropriate. Assure clinic manuals are up to date (e.g. clinic, lab, safety, MS&G).
- Perform computer functions including medical/Pap smear follow-up, prescription tracking, and inventory control.
- Coordinate with Medical Director the review of patient medical records with outstanding abnormal findings.
- Act as clinic Safety Officer when assigned by Clinic Manager.
- Supervise nursing functions as delegated by the Clinic Manager or APN/PA.
- Perform ultrasounds where applicable and receive appropriate training.
Additional Essential Functions for RNs Working at Surgical Sites
- Administer mild and moderate sedation.
- As appropriate, assist the physician with surgical procedures, monitor patient stability, and perform macroscopic exam of tissue post-surgery.
- Supervise and assess patients post-procedure recoveries.
- Acquire ACLS certification before working independently (at sites providing sedation).
- Follow all state laws regarding mandatory reporting.
- Comply with state laws governing abortion services.
- After six months of employment at our Vandalia Health Center location, participate in providing telephonic coverage for those services provided by PPNCS that require 24-Hour Emergency Call coverage.
- Understand and work as a team to meet productivity goals. Productivity results will be presented monthly to the clinic staff by the Clinic Manager/Supervisor. Annual performance monitoring for patient services staff will include an assessment of whether or not established productivity goals have been met.
- Support, cooperate with, and implement specific procedures and programs for safety and security, confidentiality, quality assurance, compliance with current laws and regulations including HIPAA and mandated reporting, and training.
- Commit to collaborating in a diverse organization through equitable practices and an inclusive culture.
- Support and participate in:
- Common teamwork (cooperate and work together with all co-workers)
- The use of tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations, demonstrating compassion, empathy, and dignity for all
- Following up as appropriate with supervisor, co-workers, and patients regarding reported complaints, problems, and concerns
- Promoting a positive public image and relation of PPNCS
- Completing requirements for acceptable attendance and timeliness to work, uniform, and dress codes, including personal hygiene
This is a full-time position working 32 hours per week.
Week 1 Tentative Schedule Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Week 2 Tentative Schedule Saturday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday
(Hours vary; start time will be between 8:00 and 9:00am depending on clinic needs)
This position is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, long-term disability, life insurance, PTO, extended illness leave, volunteer time off, paid holidays, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Physical Work Intensity and Work Environment
Level 2, Light The majority of this position s time is spent sitting in an office environment. Occasional physical demands include the lifting of 10-20 lbs. and extended periods of standing and walking. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Current RN license
- Current CPR certification (ACLS required for surgical center locations)
- Reproductive health experience
- Conscious sedation experience
- ACLS certification
- Experience working with high-risk or minority populations
- Bilingual language skills (Spanish, Hmong, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong customer service skills
- Computer skills
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Willingness to work with volunteers
Planned Parenthood North Central States supports people of all ages in making responsible choices and planning their futures. We are an organization committed to creating and fostering an environment that leads to engaged employees, and we believe engaged employees results in satisfied customers and exceptional experiences. When you work for Planned Parenthood you make a difference in the lives of those we serve by affirming the human right to reproductive health and freedom.
PPNCS complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at 612-###-####.
Planned Parenthood is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that effectively employs the skills and talents of all employees in our organization. All applicants will receive consideration regardless of their race, color, creed, sex, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, size, disability, socioeconomic status, or status with regard to public assistance. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position. AA/EEO
Any job offer will be contingent upon the results of a background investigation.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Associated topics: care, infusion, intensive care, nurse clinical, psychatric, registed, staff nurse, surgery, surgical, transitional