A little about us…
Invest in Our New York (IONY) is a campaign to advance a vision for a progressive New York State budget, where the ultra-rich pay what they owe and working-class New Yorkers have access to the resources they need. In 2021, Invest in Our New York led the campaign to win a historic tax increase on New York’s wealthiest & big corporations that resulted in over $10 billion in state coffers.
We’re looking to add a Communications Coordinator to our team. This position is remote in NYS, but will be required to travel to NYC and Albany frequently as part of this role. They will work with the Invest in Our New York Campaign Manager, coalition members and partners, and supporters to implement a strategic communications plan to advance the campaign’s vision of a just state budget. This will include identifying & coordinating responses to developing media opportunities; writing high-quality and impactful copy for press outreach materials and campaign materials; managing the campaign’s digital infrastructure; and working alongside campaign members and partners to ensure cohesive messaging. This position will report to the Invest in Our New York Campaign Manager.
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
Traditional and grassroots media (50%)
- Coordinate the Invest in Our New York Communications Working Group: Work closely with the Campaign Manager, consultants and campaign members to develop and execute a communications strategy that advance’s IONY’s core priorities.
- Manage media outreach: Coordinate IONY’s responses to media requests, including confirming spokespeople for particular media requests; coordinate communication with relevant internal committees; draft media materials (e.g. talking points, press advisories) as needed; develop and make strategic proactive pitches to news media to ensure frequent and consistent coverage of our issues; when appropriate, communicate messaging shifts with key campaign spokespeople and partners.
- Coordinate materials/media production and distribution: Work with relevant staff, members and others to manage development, design, production, distribution and inventory of print and online materials (e.g. reports, signs, infographics, fact sheets, flyers) and multimedia content for the campaign.
- Train and develop grassroots spokespeople: Regularly recruit and train spokespeople from IONY organizations to represent the campaign in media opportunities and work with relevant consultants and staff to prep spokespeople for interviews.
Online & mobile communications (40%) – Develop and drive digital and online communications strategy to engage audiences in the Invest in Our New York Campaign, including:
- Manage and grow IONY’s social media accounts: produce and curate content for social media platforms; engage online audiences to drive them toward online and offline actions; monitor social media networks for news and trend developments related to key campaign issues;
- Develop and manage content for IONY’s website and e-communications: Manage website updates, including drafting concepts and working with relevant website/design vendors to execute projects; draft content for regular and timely email and mobile communications for public audiences;
- Coordinate IONY’s social media partners: Organize specific social network projects that advance priority goals; develop digital media resources and sample content for use/adaptation by IONY members/partners; coordinate social media teams to cover key campaign events, including producing live social media updates, live-streaming, and other forms of live documentation
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in regular staff meetings and other campaign meetings as requested.
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- Deep commitment to progressive change and movement building, and working in a multi-racial, multi-cultural environment.
- 3-5 years of directly relevant experiences with developing and managing strategic communications, preferable advocacy-based and/or political campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with demonstrated ability to analyze issues, think strategically and communicate complex issues clearly through a variety of materials; ability and track record of writing well, quickly and within deadlines.
- Familiarity and experience with the New York State political and social justice movement, and in particular the NYS media landscape.
Additional Qualifications & Skills of Ideal Candidate
- Understanding and experience working with coalition models.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
Salary: The salary range for this position is $62,100 – 74,250, negotiable based on experience, with potential increases for equivalent experience. Relocation stipend available.
10% salary increase for NYC staff.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of NY and The Public Policy and Education Fund are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.