Mid-Atlantic Latinx Vaccine Equity Coalition (MALVEC) – Community Health Organizer (CHO)
Maryland Latinos Unidos (MLU), Baltimore, Maryland, United States
MALVEC seeks four Community Health Organizers (CHO) to serve as a connector between community members and health services to reduce disproportionate COVID-19 health impacts in the Latinx community. The CHW will accompany, inform, educate, and empower community members to navigate health systems to protect their health and the health of their families. The CHW will work with families within a holistic health equity framework. For this project, the CHW will focus their activities on COVID-19 prevention and education.
As part of the MALVEC philosophy, CHWs will receive introductory and continuous training in Digital Organizing, COVID-19, and specific Community Mobilization Techniques for Health.
Job duration: This position is initially funded for four months (2021-2022) with the potential of being extended into 2022 dependent on the extension of the grant.
Locations: MLU Headquarters are in Baltimore, but flexible for the right candidates. The position is primarily remote but includes state and possibly some regional travel with an emphasis on Anne Arundel, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Montgomery County, and Prince Georges County.
How you can help build a healthier Maryland:
- Participate as a member of the Mid-Atlantic Vaccine Equity Coalition (MALVEC) to assess and respond to community members’ needs related to COVID-19 prevention.
- Establish relationships with community members and their families acting as health educators and communication facilitators between community members and health systems.
- Apply digital tools to engage, mobilize, and encourage people to get vaccinated and enhances MALVEC partners’ digital reach.
- Canvass neighborhoods and events where community members gather to inform and educate them of upcoming vaccination events and help register them.
- Assist community members in addressing challenges to COVID-19 prevention such as transportation, insurance, family pressure for vaccine rejection, and others. Provides feedback about misinformation, disinformation, and concerns about COVID-19 and vaccines.
- Document all work performed and follows up with community members.
- Continuously expand knowledge and understanding of community resources, services, and programs for community members.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity and participation in networks in their community.
- Outreach/organizing experience working with vulnerable and/or underserved communities on social issues.
- Bilingual/cultural competence (English and Spanish)
- Computer skills to manage digital platforms, ie: FB, Instagram, Texting platforms, Google Suite, Canva, etc.
- Experience or knowledge of the health care fields.
- Community Health Worker certification (not essential)
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation, and the ability to travel at times throughout the state
- Must have access to a working smartphone
- Must have the ability to occasionally lift and carry 25 lbs.
Compensation: This is a part-time position for between 15-20 hours per week at $25.00/hour.
English application: https://www.tfaforms.com/4933054
Spanish application: https://www.tfaforms.com/4933057
Hire date: As early as September 30, 2021
Employment is contingent on successful completion of an employment application, background check, and reference check.
Maryland Nonprofits dba Maryland Latinos Unidos provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.