Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for social, racial and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well-connected. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics, and taxing the rich.
Citizen Action of New York has eight chapter offices. We are currently seeking a community organizer for our Buffalo Chapter, based in our Buffalo, NY office.
This is a full-time position starting immediately. If you have strong interpersonal and communication skills, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Primary responsibilities include:
● Community outreach to grow our base of prospective volunteers through door knocking, phone banks, canvasses, tabling, petitioning, and other activities that build visibility of Citizen Action in the community.
● Recruit, engage, and develop volunteer leaders to organize phone banks, canvass, plan events, lobby, facilitate committee meetings, and other chapter activities that advance the strategic goals of our campaigns.
● Maintain volunteer lists using VAN and other internal databases.
● Recruit dues-paying members to Citizen Action of New York and support fundraising events.
● Organize direct action events that engage the community to win campaigns that create concrete changes in people’s lives.
What we’re looking for from you:
● At least one year of community organizing, paid canvass, or electoral campaign experience.
● Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment that can be stressful and has competing priorities.
● Great people skills, proven to work well with diverse communities
● A commitment to promoting racial and gender justice.
● Be able to pay attention to detail and work well under pressure of deadlines and accountability systems.
● A positive attitude and work ethic toward social change and skills for organizing online using social media tools as well as in the field.
● Willingness to work long hours, including some nights and weekends.
Thorough knowledge of organizing and political campaign strategies, planning and execution. Demonstrated success in organizing communities on issue campaigns through activities like list building, phone banking and canvassing, committee creation and support, direct action event planning, and membership recruitment.
Experience in fundraising.
Ability to work independently with members and elected leaders in complex political situations.
Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships and to work in a team.
Willingness to work as part of a team, recognizing that compromise may be necessary in order to move the work forward.
A deep commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice.
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary is $48,750. Competitive benefits package including a quality family health plan, 401k, paid holidays and paid time off and more.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.