OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
Since 1989 Attain Housing has helped families who have lost their homes get a new start and find stable housing. Providing transitional housing, case management and support services, we help move families from homeless to safe and stable living.
The purpose of the Development Director is to execute the strategic fund development plan, meet budget goals through effective identification, engagement, and stewardship. With the help of a development manager, the development director must raise $1M annually while coordinating a $1.5M capital campaign with the campaign consultants. He/she/they reports to the Executive Director (ED).
As a member of the senior team, the Director of Development will create and implement the contributed income strategy for Attain Housing, including relationships with individuals, corporations, government funders, and foundations. The successful candidate will support, maintain, and grow the organization’s donor base and will work closely with and provide support for the development efforts of the ED, Board of Directors, and Capital Campaign team, as well as supervising one Development staff member.
The Development Director upholds and enhances a culture of teamwork, supports collaboration among staff and builds and maintains long-term relationships with stakeholders including individual, corporate and foundation donors while constantly seeking new relationships with potential donors. The person will be active in community outreach and maintain a positive image and high profile in the community.
- Execute the fund development plan
- Develop new revenue channels and relationships in the private sector to attain and cultivate donors, grants, key corporate and community partnerships, volunteers as well as support successful campaigns, events and drives to meet/exceed $1M annual development goal
- Supervise the fund development team
- Currently supervising one development manager and grant contractor, the director will determine how to increase revenue and build the appropriate team to effectively raise funds
- Lead and manage the development team to include hiring, training, cross-training and staff development
- Develop individual SMART goals, provide ongoing feedback, one-on-one meetings and conduct performance assessments
- Provide support and guidance to the Board Fund Development Committee
- Develop and/or update fund development policies.
- Create development policies and procedures to ensure development best practice is followed
- Provide leadership to all fund development, grants, marketing, communications efforts
- Bring a passion and commitment to building community relationships, act as face of the organization when ED is not available
- Ensure the proper policies and procedures in place to effectively manage government contracts and grants
- Act as a positive and energetic ambassador and spokesperson on behalf of the organization
- Identify, cultivate and steward foundation, corporate, organizational, and major donors
- Build a development department to meet anticipated growth
- Guide proactive marketing and communications plan and activities
- Develop and execute the major gifts strategy, and the multi-year strategic growth campaign
It is critical that the Development Director ensures the department’s staff and volunteers have a diversity of perspectives, experience, skills and educational attainment to demonstrate a culturally competent organization. This will be accomplished by intentionally recruiting and maintaining a diverse workforce, continuously training all staff and volunteers, and leading the department to maximize the potential of team members. The Development Director will uphold a work climate that is inclusive, respectful and free of bias.
Staff members at Attain Housing describe the organizational culture as strengths-based, mission-focused, cooperative, compassionate, service-oriented and fast-paced. Staff are encouraged to be creative, and power is shared. The culture has a strong focus on social justice, equity and inclusion. Attain Housing is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Essential Qualifications: A qualified candidate will have 1) a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the position listed above; 2) at least five (5) or more years of fund development experience, with increasing responsibility and tangible positive results; CFRE preferred; 3) experience leading and managing a development department of at least comparable organization and budget 4) demonstrated skill translating aspirational vision into tactical plans 5) experience working with and reporting to a board of directors 6) strong development background to lead public and private efforts 7) demonstrate agility and nimbleness, strong decision-making ability, especially the capacity to respond quickly to opportunities. The ideal candidate will have a passion for human services, social justice, equity and inclusion.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to provide strategic leadership for all fund development activities
- Strong financial acumen, budget management, including managing grant reporting and compliance
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and justice
- Experience building community-based partnerships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with people at all levels and in all settings relevant to the organization’s mission
- Strong public speaking and networking abilities
- Excellent coaching and motivational abilities to encourage and support others
- Impeccable ethics and the highest integrity
Compensation: This is a full-time position with flexibility for a hybrid work schedule. The annual salary range of $90-$110K DOE. Attain Housing offers excellent benefits including health, dental, matching Simple IRA up to 3% salary match upon hire. Generous PTO plus 13 paid holidays.
Please send cover letter and resume to: NPOJobs08@gmail.com