New Opportunity: Director of Development
The Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter (NSKS) seeks a dynamic and innovative Director of Development to lead all fundraising initiatives and activities of the agency. Guided by a strong and sincere commitment to NSKS’s mission, the Director will strategically develop and implement a detailed fundraising plan to support the agency’s evolution and growth. Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop fundraising strategic plan, designed to meet the funding needs of NSKS.
- Supervise execution of annual fundraising campaign, including but not limited to direct mail appeals, annual benefit, grants and individual donor cultivation.
- Build the major gift program through donor research, strategizing and outreach.
- Research foundations and write and/or edit grant proposals.
- Grow the volunteer base, with the goal of increasing volunteer confidence and involvement.
- Develop materials to be used as tools in the development process: impact statements; donor letters; fundraising brochures; email solicitations, newsletter articles and more.
- Oversee gift acknowledgement, donor recognition and stewardship.
- Collaborate with staff and volunteer committees on special events, taking lead responsibility for sponsor solicitation.
- Cultivate area corporate relationships to increase both financial and in-kind support.
- Develop a planned giving program.
- Provide staff leadership in the ongoing planning, coordinating and managing of the capital campaign for major gifts and community efforts.
- Staff the Campaign Leadership Committee.
- Manage and monitor the campaign timeline.
- Work directly with campaign consultants.
- Work with communications staff and consultant to maintain clear and consistent messaging in all media venues, including print and online solicitation materials.
Board and Staff Leadership/Support
- Provide quarterly updates to the Board of Directors on fundraising efforts and progress towards goals.
- Participate in committees and sub-committees of the Board of Directors.
- Build the board’s understanding of their role in fundraising and their fundraising activity.
- Keep staff informed of development efforts and results.
- Communicate with program staff in order to be fully informed of NSKS’s work.
- Provide fundraising training to staff and volunteers.
Requirements & Qualifications
- A commitment to the mission and activities of NSKS
- At least 4 years of nonprofit fundraising/development experience, with demonstrated success in major gift solicitation and grant writing.
- A strategic approach to management that balances control of details with the big picture.
- Innovative thinking and an eagerness to take on ambitious goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills and diplomacy.
- Comfort with public speaking, and the ability to deliver a message concisely and effectively.
- Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills.
- Strong leadership qualities, with the ability to inspire a team toward a common goal.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent timelines and projects.
- Experience with budget management and preparation of financial reports.
- Computer proficiency and experience with fundraising databases.
- Bachelor’s Degree (advanced degree preferred).
The Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter offers competitive compensation ($65,000 – $75,000), excellent benefits, and a supportive workplace culture.
Please submit your resume, along with a thoughtful cover letter, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject line should contain Attn: Michael Reinke, Executive Director. Kindly note that resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. No telephone calls, please.
About the Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter: Established in 1981, the Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter is a volunteer-driven, community-supported agency which, through the sharing of goods and talents, responds to individuals and families who lack the basic necessities or resources to improve their lives. With a financial budget of over $1.6M, an additional $2M in annual “in-kind” donations. NSKS is a well-managed and innovative agency. More than 90% of all donations go directly to programs, which include a permanent food pantry, multiple mobile pantries, a community kitchen serving 80,000 meals annually, a meals for kids program providing frozen evening meals for 13 public schools, financial assistance for a client’s situational crisis, a single adult male emergency shelter and the only emergency shelter for single adult women and families. For more information, please browse our website.