The Executive Director is responsible for the oversight and management of the organization. Externally, the Director is the principal outward face of the organization through outreach, fundraising and building creative partnerships with other agencies, individuals, companies, and government. Internally, the director sets the tone for the organization through 1) hiring, training, and mentoring staff; 2) monitoring and developing programs; 3) administering day-to-day operations; and 4) working closely with the board of directors and its committees to sustain Washtenaw Literacy.
Cultural Responsiveness is essential to achieving our mission. We aspire to advance equity and build a multicultural workplace that balances self-awareness with practice. Each Washtenaw Literacy employee commits to self-reflection and growth in their own cultural beliefs, values, and biases. We strive to integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion into Washtenaw Literacy’s organizational culture. Our core values guide this ongoing work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the Board Chair, plan for organizational strategy, effective committees, efficient Board meetings, and Board succession.
- Manage staff: hire, train, mentor, review, and provide development opportunities.
- With the Treasurer, ensure compliance with all regulatory and financial policies and procedures.
- With the Finance Committee, ensure that Human Resource policies, procedures and regulations are in compliance.
- With the Development Director, direct fundraising for the organization and manage a portfolio of major donors.
- Identify collaborative partnerships that further the stability and growth of Washtenaw Literacy.
- Establish relationships within the community, the nonprofit sector, businesses, and governmental agencies.
- As the public face of Washtenaw Literacy, act as the principal for public speaking engagements and other representations.
- Develop and implement timely communication plans to various constituencies.
- With programming staff, develop program design and evaluation, and identify new opportunities.
- Create a sense of belonging and the room for learners, tutors, volunteers and staff to be their authentic selves.
- Ensure day-to-day operational procedures are regularly reviewed and updated according to best practices.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Fund development experience and track record.
- Proven financial management skills.
- Demonstrated networking skill and relationship building.
- Personnel management skills.
- Commitment to Washtenaw Literacy’s Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 5 years management and organizational development experience.
- 3-5 years fundraising experience.
- Managed budgets in excess of $300,000.
- Experience in grant writing.
- Experience in adult literacy or adult education and volunteer management (highly preferred).
- Skilled in use of various technologies.
- Familiarity with county, state and federal resources with established contacts within the community (highly preferred).
- Proven track record of strategic leadership.
REQUIRED FORMAT TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter & resume together in ONE pdf document with the candidate’s last name in the file name to ExecDirSearch@washtenawliteracy.org. No phone calls or paper materials.