Little Essentials is seeking a passionate and driven individual to fill the role of full-time Executive Director (ED). Reporting to the board of directors (BOD), the ED will act as Little Essentials’ external advocate, realizing its mission while leading a small, dedicated team out of our New York office-warehouse.
The ideal candidate will partner with the BOD to position Little Essentials (LE) for future success and growth by strengthening and expanding the organization's visibility, fundraising, programming, and operations. This is an ideal opportunity for a strategic and motivated leader to drive significant impact in a growing non-profit setting.
Organizational Growth and Revenue Generation
- Lead fundraising initiatives, cultivating individual, foundation, and corporate sponsorship; support board members and lead staff in expanding the donor base to raise funds and in-kind donations
- Serve as the external face, spokesperson, and advocate for Little Essentials, ensuring the organization's story, message, program successes, and positions are well articulated to various stakeholders
- Aid in the preparation and presentation of major funding proposals and other fundraising initiatives and events
- Raise Little Essentials’ profile through ongoing networking and cultivation of media contacts, community and business leaders, corporate and foundation representatives, client families, volunteers, and others, as relevant
- Help to develop and support a strong board of diverse members; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction; and encourage board activities that align with the organization’s priorities and mission
- Act as primary liaison to the BOD, and keep members apprised of the organization's core activities and strategic work
- Actively engage and energize board and advisory board members, event committees, partnering organizations, staff, volunteers, and donors
Leadership and Strategic Direction
- Devise and execute Operations Plan within the realities of COVID-19, in collaboration with the staff and BOD;
- Partner with BOD to develop a long-term vision and strategic plan focused on LE’s future and growth; Pilot new initiatives and adapt strategy as needed to meet those goals
- Maintain a high-performance culture to ensure staff are engaged and continuously growing in their roles. Review and revise staffing needs and organizational policies annually
- Ensure programs operate at maximum capacity and reflect LE’s mission and vision statement
- Work to gradually increase LE's service capacity in accordance with the strategic plan
Management and Operations
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Recruit, hire, train and manage Little Essentials support staff
- Ensure business systems and standards (including budgeting and financial management, tracking and managing inventory, and donor/ volunteer relationship management) are consistent and operate with excellence
- Assume responsibility for the financial health and stability of the organization by managing budget established in collaboration with BOD
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness and organization in the office and warehouse properties to ensure a welcoming environment for partners, volunteers, and donors
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five years of experience in senior leadership positions (e.g., Manager and/or Director level)
- Ability to formulate and implement a strategic plan
- Track record of fundraising success in nonprofit or private sector setting preferred
- Previous staff management experience, with the ability to recruit, develop, and retain a high performing team, set priorities, delegate responsibilities, and hold employees accountable for outcomes
- Experience with successful partnership development and management
- Excellent relationship building skills, with a demonstrated ability to work well with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Capacity to lead on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to act as a compelling advocate for the mission of Little Essentials
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently in a multifaceted role
- Ability to achieve goals and align interests through influence and collaboration
- Familiarity with CRM, QuickBooks, Excel, Little Green Light is an asset
- Experience in the fields of community organizing, public health, social work, social justice, non-profit development, and/or poverty alleviation a plus
The right candidate will care deeply about the populations served by Little Essentials and is passionate about fighting against the challenges and inequities.
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience, with a salary range of $80,000 to $100,000.
Little Essentials is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, equality and inclusion and are committed to searching for applicants from a broad range of backgrounds. LE will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, age, religion, national origin, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and any other protected class under New York state and federal law.
ABOUT LITTLE ESSENTIALS
Little Essentials provides children’s supplies and parenting education to New York City families in crisis by partnering with shelters, social-service agencies, and multiple community organizations. In response to COVID-19, LE has increased their services to provide direct relief to families in need.
To date, Little Essentials has helped more than 41,000 New York City children living in poverty. Staff and volunteers collect, sort, and distribute new and gently used items for children ages 0 to 5.
Our Mission Statement
Little Essentials offers at-risk families living in poverty urgently needed children’s supplies and parenting education to promote the health, well-being and safety of their children under fiver years of age.
Our Vision Statement
Little Essentials strives to close the inequality gap for families suffering from poverty and seeks to raise awareness of the systems of racism and white supremacy that have led to that poverty. Through educational workshops and giving, we hope to focus on racial equity and inclusion, fostering empowerment from within our communities.