Fonkoze was created over 28 years ago to bring financial inclusion and development services to Haiti's poor – providing them a viable way to lift themselves out of poverty. Fonkoze is a family of 3 organizations: Fonkoze Financial Services (Sèvis Finansye Fonkoze (SFF), S.A.), Fonkoze Foundation (Fondasyon Kole Zepòl) and Fonkoze USA.
Fonkoze Financial Services (SFF) is a Haitian microfinance company with a double bottom line. Fonkoze Foundation (Fondasyon Kole Zepòl) is a Haitian non-profit that provides development services and programs to support the ultra-poor with the resources and skills they need to overcome obstacles. Fonkoze USA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to securing financial and technical support for its Haitian partners. It educates the American public about Fonkoze’s work in Haiti, facilitates technical assistance for the two Haitian entities and raises money to support Fonkoze’s programs. Fonkoze USA also acts as a channel for socially responsible investors who want to “invest” in Fonkoze’s loan fund by lending their money at subsidized interest rates. Fonkoze USA gives American donors access to tax advantages available to the fullest extent allowed, and conducts the necessary due diligence on Fonkoze’s operations.
We are looking for an experienced Executive Director to lead the next phase of Fonkoze USA’s growth. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director has strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of Fonkoze USA’s mission. This leader will be responsible for leading and growing the Fonkoze USA team, growing fundraising efforts, and managing our partnership with the Fonkoze family organizations. The Executive Director will be the voice of Fonkoze USA as we continue to build awareness about Haiti and Fonkoze’s work in Haiti. We are looking for an experienced nonprofit operator, fundraiser, and communicator who is excited about our mission and passionate about supporting development in Haiti.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure consistent quality in the organization's fundraising, finance, communications, and operations.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize Fonkoze USA board members, volunteers, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors.
- Lead, coach, develop and retain A-players on the Fonkoze USA team.
- Build a data-driven culture, with a team that leverages data to make decisions and communicate progress to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the leadership of the Fonkoze family organizations and boards.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing Fonkoze family program operations and expansion.
- Represent Fonkoze USA externally in public speaking engagements, partnership and fundraising conversations.
- Grow the Fonkoze USA brand with investments in our communication across channels.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning & Strategic Development:
- Guide the organization in our strategic plan and lead future strategic planning processes.
- Begin to build partnerships with potential program partners and funders.
- 10+ years of senior management experience. Track record of effectively leading and scaling a team. Can point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors, with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator.
- Creative problem solving (i.e. excels at identifying trends and patterns, developing root-cause diagnoses, and using a diverse toolkit to address the root causes).
- International development nonprofit experience, especially experience in Haiti, desired.
- Experience working with international development agencies such as USAID, the Inter-American Development Bank, and the World Bank desired.
- Mission driven – a passion for our mission is a must!
- Resourceful – figures out how to achieve results creatively with finite resources
- Team player – works collaboratively and energetically with diverse groups of people
- Self-aware, accepting, honest, open, and respectful of others
- Analytical – finds meaning and action in numbers, and is a data-driven decision-maker
- A love of driving alignment – leaving personal agenda at the door
- Location: Remote with frequent travel to Washington, D.C. or based in Washington, D.C.
- Compensation: Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Benefits: healthcare coverage, 3 weeks PTO, holidays, sick leave and 3 personal days, retirement plan with employer matching