Sunbridge Institute, a world-renowned Waldorf teacher training institution located on a beautiful campus in Rockland County, NY, is seeking a new finance director.
This is a 35-40 hour-a-week position, offering health and time-off benefits. We are looking to hire now.
The finance director is responsible for directing all aspects of Sunbridge’s finance and business office. The finance director reports directly to the executive director and serves as an integral ex-officio member of the Finance Committee of Sunbridge’s Board of Trustees.
We are looking for candidates who strongly identify with our values, mission, and goals, and who are eager to contribute their ideas, energy, and skills towards strengthening Waldorf teacher education with our team of administrators and faculty. We are especially looking for individuals who can bring entrepreneurial thinking and business skills to our institution as we continue to grow and expand.
Candidates should be proactive and enjoy working in a highly collaborative manner. Strong communication skills, professionalism, and high accountability are part of the team culture at Sunbridge and expected of all team members.
While participation at staff and other meetings is required, including the possibility of some weekends, SOME work may be completed off-site.
- Work with the executive director, Finance Committee, and program directors to create an annual budget and prepare monthly management reporting, including a rolling budget forecast
- Ensure the implementation of and adherence to generally accepted accounting principles and policies
- Perform all bookkeeping activities including AR, AP, GL entries, and monthly bank reconciliations. (It is also possible for some of the bookkeeping tasks to be outsourced)
- Manage cash and make appropriate inter-account bank transfers in a timely manner, along with maintaining a cash flow spreadsheet
- Maintain all employee and contractor records, process payroll and benefits
- Oversee year-end W-2 forms and 1099s
- Maintain all insurance plans and renewals
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal employment regulations, including maintaining current copies of anti-harassment training certificates for all employees on an annual basis
- Perform background checks for employment candidates
- Prepare all files for the annual audit and work with auditors and the Finance Committee until audit is completed and forms submitted and filed
- Oversee all student financial records and financial aid applications
- Create financial reports for outside organizations including AWSNA, TEDC Survey, OEDS report, BPSS annual income report, and financial reports for granting foundations
The finance director may supervise an assistant, depending on need.
- Minimum of three years of bookkeeping /accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit entity
- Expertise in bookkeeping/accounting software – Blackbaud experience a plus
- Strong facility and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Strong ability to work with students and schools
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Collaborative work style
- Ability to multi-task and set appropriate priorities
- Job-related education or training
An entrepreneurial mindset and familiarity with Waldorf education is preferred.
In all of its dealings, including its admissions, educational, and employment practices, it is the policy of Sunbridge Institute, its Trustees, officers, employees and other duly authorized agents not to discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of race, color, creed, gender, age, culture, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or identification, or mental or physical disability.