If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami/UHealth Department of Psychiatry has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Chaplain.
The Chaplain provides spiritual guidance and support during illness, injury, and emergency to patients, family members, and caregivers. Additionally, the incumbent performs religious services and leads prayer.
- Provides confidential and non-judgmental listening, counsel, guidance, direction and support.
- Offers crisis and disaster intervention, bereavement counseling, and guidance in ethical decision making.
- Ensures that religious and spiritual needs of patients and their loved ones are met.
- Counsels patients undergoing surgical procedures, facing end of life issues, or involved in traumatic accidents.
- Communicates respectfully across cultures and with persons of different faiths. Assists in the coordination of clergy and pastoral visits from the religious community.
- Provides crisis intervention by visiting with patients, families, and staff, and making spiritual assessments.
- Assesses spiritual needs of patients and families and assists families in using their faith in dealing with illness, trauma, and stress.
- Supports staff in dealing with their emotions after the loss of a patient.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
- Bachelors degree in relevant field
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) – Highly Preferred
- Board Certified Chaplain (BCC) – Highly Preferred
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations with professional composure.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida’s only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We’re the challenge you’ve been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza (“the flu”) season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click for additional information.
Associated topics: community support, consultant, customer experience, event organizer, priest, project, representative, resource specialist, school, tutor