Students Rising Above (SRA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded over 20 years ago, now serving all nine counties of the San Francisco Bay Area. Students Rising Above (SRA) believes in the transformative power of education and every day we work to empower underrepresented students with drive and potential to achieve their life goals by connecting them to the tools, resources, and supportive community they need to excel and thrive on their college-to-career journey.
Comprised of a tightly organized team of trained experts, corporate partners, an engaged student community, and the commitment of both individual donors and foundations, SRA has created an all-encompassing program that offers thousands of students:
- Social-emotional support
- Academic advising
- Healthcare navigation
- Career guidance
- Professional development
By providing comprehensive guidance and support whenever and wherever it s needed, SRA accomplishes its mission through a series of proven initiatives that have a direct and profound impact, affecting lives for generations. For more information, visit www.studentsrisingabove.org.
At SRA we value openness, collaboration, inclusivity, commitment, and growth. The Grants Manager is an important position on the Development team, working closely with all departments. The Grants Manager will support the organization s fundraising goal of nearly $5MM by:
- Growing SRA s institutional funding base through strategic prospect identification, research, and cultivation of foundations, government agencies, corporate partners and other entities
- Independently planning, writing, and submitting well-conceived, compelling letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and reports for high quality stewardship and relationship-building strategies.
- Creating and maintaining a language bank, framed in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, that describes SRA s work and the need/rationale for giving. Augment this cache with data and updates on trends to yield compelling arguments for SRA s work.
- Maintaining SRA s Guidestar and Charity Navigator profiles to ensure best ratings and presentation.
- Partnering with SRA staff to support the work of the Development Department.
Working in partnership with the Students Rising Above CEO and Director of Development and Communications to secure over $1M in grant funding for SRA and monitor progress towards the goal, the Grants Manager will:
- Work with organizational leadership and team to set long-term grants strategy in line with organizational objectives
- Build and implement a stewardship and outreach strategy for new and existing foundation funders
- Prepare and submit LOIs and grant proposals
- Provide timely and professional customer service in response to inquiries regarding grant status, compliance, procedures, and future opportunities
- Research new corporate and foundation funding opportunities
- Prepare regular updates for presentation to the larger SRA team and the Board of Directors on grantmaking numbers, trends, and issues.
To ensure grant files, reports, and other documentation are up-to-date and organized, the Grants Manager will:
- Create and maintain grant files that meet legal, auditing, and foundation requirements
- Coordinate grant reporting, including collecting and reviewing data from grantees
- Document grant processing procedures and strive to make grant administration processes as efficient and effective as possible
- Implement, maintain and continuously improve grants management software (Salesforce) that aligns with current and potential processes as well as the needs of other departments and external partners
- Review and approve spending plans; monitor budget and forecast for each grant opportunity
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated understanding of underserved and/or low-income communities
- Genuine commitment to supporting underserved and/or low-income communities
- A minimum of 3 years experience working in nonprofit development with grant writing experience
- Demonstrated success managing external relationships with individual donors and/or funder contacts
- High level of organization, with meticulous attention to detail and analytical skills
- Exceptional verbal and written skills, as well as interpersonal skills to support the ability to work with internal and external constituents in an effective and professional manner
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Goal oriented with the ability to work with minimal supervision along with a willingness to ask questions to clarify assignments and accept supervisor s guidance; enjoy working remotely
- Use of good judgment and ability to treat confidential information with discretion
- Available to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed
- Access to transportation
The individual in this position is a member of SRA’s five-person Financial Development team, and reports to Sabir Muhammad, Development and Communications Director. All SRA employees enjoy flexible PTO, five self-care days annually in addition to paid holidays, and a human-centered, wellness-focused work environment that seeks to nurture and develop the intrinsic strengths of each individual.
SRA has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We strive to create and maintain a professional environment that supports these practices.SRA welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, people of color, veterans, persons with disabilities, people of any sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression and members of the LGBTQI+ community.
Associated topics: fund, funding, grant, grant administration, grant administrator, grant management, proposal