Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for social, racial and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well-connected. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics, and taxing the rich.
Citizen Action of New York has eight chapter offices. We are currently seeking a lead organizer for our Southern Tier Chapter, based in our Binghamton, NY office.
This is a full-time position starting immediately. If you have strong interpersonal and communication skills, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Primary responsibilities include:
- Organize actions, mobilizations, canvassing, media coverage and other activities as part of our issue and electoral campaigns.
- Identify new volunteers and members through frequent door to door and phone banking.
- Recruit dues-paying members, build our volunteer base and train local members and leaders on organizing skills.
- Build and provide support to local coalitions and local Citizen Action leadership committees.
- Raise local funds.
- Work with the regional Board, participate in local coalitions, is responsible for the endorsement and election process of the chapter.
- Supervise one or more community organizers.
- At least three years of experience as a community organizer.
- Demonstrated ability to develop the skills of volunteer leaders.
- Demonstrated success and skills in phone banks, canvass, planning events, lobbying, facilitating workshops and meetings.
- Proven ability to plan, recruit for, and facilitate meetings, actions, training and lobby visits.
- Experience with databases such as VAN is a plus.
- Basic digital skill set such as email systems, Microsoft Office or Google Suite.
- Familiarity with Zoom and other video meet technology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to collaborate with their team, other staff, leaders and cross departmental work on chapter goals and organization plans.
- Experience and ability to be flexible with time and competing/shifting priorities.
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills.
- Ability to travel, including having a reliable car and valid driver’s license.
- Cultural competency and proven ability to connect and relate to people from a wide variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Supervisory and fundraising experience.
- Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Experience with VAN, G Suite, Asana, Action Network.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Full health benefits.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.