With over 3,200 members worldwide, ONA is the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists. Our mission is to inspire and support innovation and excellence in digital journalism. We believe journalism builds a more informed society that leads to a stronger democracy.
Driven by a dynamic staff and Board of Directors, ONA is one of the leading organizations providing digital training through our conferences, fellowships and local groups. We offer excellent benefits – such as health insurance, 401(k), paid leave and professional development support – as well as a flexible, DC-based work environment with the option to work from home several days per week.
ONA is looking for a learning professional with a passion for creating and developing educational programs to join our growing organization. The ideal candidate will have experience in designing and growing both in-person and virtual training programs. Responsibilities include creating new learning and training opportunities for ONA, curating professional content for our training programs and evaluating the impact of our offerings. This position requires knowledge and understanding of adult education training approaches. Experience with educational technology and the digital journalism community is a plus.
- Build a curriculum for key ONA educational initiatives, including new offerings being introduced over the next three years
- Work with staff, volunteers and consultants to determine the best content delivery method for each individual training program throughout the year
- Recruit, coach and manage topical experts for each of our learning opportunities
- Design speaker and trainer materials in collaboration with presenters and colleagues
- Evaluate the success of the educational aspects of our annual conference and other programs against target metrics
- Administrative support to ensure subject matter experts complete bios, submit headshots, sign waivers and are represented in digital and print materials
- Measure the success of our programs, both on individuals participating in them and on the broader journalism community
Benefits: Paid medical, dental and vacation; 401K plan
Hours: Full-Time; partial remote schedule
Location: NPR’s Washington D.C. office and virtually, applicants must be able to work from the D.C. office at least two to three times a week.
Reports to: Chief Knowledge Officer
Works closely with: Director of Programs; Senior Manager, Communities & Local Journalism Initiatives
Direct report: None
- Minimum five years of experience in the design, development, and delivery of professional and leadership development programs for in-person and virtual events
- There is travel included in this position; we anticipate roughly 40 percent of your time will be travel-related; expect a few days / up to a week of travel at a time periodically
- The ability to identify talent to provide training and knowledge sharing, as well as coaching that talent to provide the best possible learning opportunities
- Knowledge of adult learning and educational curriculum development
- Proactive project management skills
- Experience collaborating with colleagues, volunteer committees and subject matter experts to design and develop educational programs, both in-person and virtual
- Exceptional organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Strong problem solving, customer service and analytical skills
- Experience managing to a budget
- Working knowledge of social media
- Working knowledge of educational technology applications that support creating, editing, learning and engagement, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Camtasia and other software
- Association/not-for-profit experience a plus
- Knowledge of the digital journalism industry a plus
- Multiple language fluency is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to present data and conclusions in an organized, concise manner
- Ability to work and interact remotely
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff
- G Suite proficiency is necessary, as well as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree
What can you expect from joining ONA? You’ll join…
- A team that’s passionate about making a difference.
- An organization that’s committed to your personal and professional growth.
- A community of collaborators, innovators and people who care about creating a better society.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Applications open through December 15.