Altarum is seeking a Manager of Business Development to work in our Center for Military and Veterans Health at our Washington DC Office. Altarum is a mid-sized, nonprofit government contractor focused on advancing population health and improving healthcare delivery. The Business Development (BD) Manager will proactively develop and nurture relationships with key healthcare customers, stakeholders and influencers, and with other industry professionals to strengthen our expanding work in providing applied research and analytics and advisory services.
The core offerings of Altarum’s Center for Military and Veterans Health include:
- Survey Science (for Military and Veterans and other vulnerable and publically insured populations)
- Advanced Analytics
- Advisory Services including Education and Training
Responsibilities include actively participating in setting the strategic direction of the Center; pursuit of new Federal, State and Philanthropic contracts; acquisition of business intelligence, market awareness and competitors; coordination of partner inputs; and relationship management with potential funders.
You’ll use your energy, drive and creativity to help set a vision and path forward for the CMVH and devise and implement BD strategies, represent Altarum professionally, and support business development to advance the mission of the organization. You’ll work in a very fast-paced, demanding, but rewarding environment; together we will work to improve population health and healthcare particularly for vulnerable and publicly insured populations including the military and veteran population. Preference will be given to individuals who have a strong knowledge of military and veteran health.
- Aggressively pursue work that is aligned with and advances Altarum mission
- Provide general marketing of the group to other potential clients – both Federal and Commercial – and will also be required to participate in vendor exhibitions at professional conferences.
- Identify and recommend innovative applications of the Center for Military and Veterans Health core offerings, partnerships and opportunities that will contribute to the Center’s growth.
- Actively pursue and build robust relationships with existing clients, potential funders, and partner organizations (including other Altarum business units).
- Identify and leverage existing relationships found among staff in your Center and the leadership of other Centers for business development pursuits.
- Identify and build relationships with key decision-makers at all levels within client and partner organization (e.g. universities, health systems, provider organizations, advocacy organizations, health insurers, health departments, local, state and federal government agencies) particularly in relation to market positioning and capture planning.
- Lead and/or support proposal efforts, teaming and strategic pricing.
- Leverage stakeholder network to obtain business intelligence, maintain market awareness and position the Center for contracts/grants.
- Be located within or willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area.
- Five or more years of business development experience related to healthcare, in particular with work for the military and veterans populations.
- Ability to leverage functional knowledge to provide strategic direction to clients and direct project activities.
- Must be comfortable making frequent presentations to partners and senior client stakeholders.
- Ability to identify and qualify new business opportunities and expand existing business opportunities, with proven experience with new contract wins
- Competency and proficiency with structured business development, capture, and proposal processes. Strong writing skills are desirable.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, team focused mentality, and committed to continuous learning
- Creative, friendly, energetic, approachable and reliable
- Strong relationship and networking skills
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines, with multiple/simultaneous bid efforts, and occasional travel.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational, time-management, and interpersonal skills
- Inquisitive and innovative, critical and analytical thinker, integrity in all that you do
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Altarum serves the public good by solving complex systems problems to improve human health. Altarum creates and implements solutions to advance health among vulnerable and publicly-insured populations. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include health data and analytics; value-based care; public health systems design, development and information exchange; behavioral health and substance use disorders; childhood and adolescent health; medical education; food and nutrition; consumer engagement; elder care; health disparities and equity; and military and veterans’ health.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.