Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. Based in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies (HVA) is widely recognized as a leader at the forefront of public education with 95% high school graduation and a consistent track record of performance. After a decade of running five public schools serving nearly 2,000 students, HVA aspires to impact public education nationally by creating a Graduate School of Education with a campus in Harlem and an innovative digital platform.
Our vision is to build an enduring American institution that will produce the most inspiring and effective educators, immersed in sophisticated pedagogy while driven by a sense of urgency and accountability. We aim to transform the way teachers are trained, particularly those serving our nation’s most vulnerable children. Our Harlem campus will become a vibrant learning community of graduate students, aspiring young teachers, experienced master teachers, graduate school faculty, and HVA students in Kindergarten through 12 grade. The organization now seeks an accomplished VP, Development to grow and steward a portfolio of passionately supportive major donors.
The Manager of Advancement will play a key role in fulfilling HVA’s vision by managing and growing the organization’s major gifts revenue. The Manager will report to Preeti Davidson, VP, Institutional Advancement and the Advancement Team on fundraising initiatives. This is a chance to combine fundraising in a high-performing existing organization, with the thrill and challenge of a start-up.
The Manager, Office of Institutional Advancement will possess the following attributes and competencies:
Passion for the Mission
The Manager will have a demonstrated passion for the mission of Harlem Village Academies and a commitment to remaining focused on the goals of the organization. S/he will believe strongly in the ability of progressive education and the impact of the five schools encompassed in HVA.
The Manager will have a clear understanding that fundraising is a fundamental aspect of the success of the organization and will enthusiastically participate in those efforts. S/he will work in close collaboration with the VP of Institutional Advancement and the Advancement Team, staff and volunteers to strategically work towards HVA’s desired outcomes in this regard and build and maintain relationships on behalf of the organization. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement
- Advancement Team operations and systems management
- Liaises with various offices and staff within HVA as well as externally
- Providing support for Volunteer Programs
- Providing support for Special Events
The Manager will have an understanding of best practices, a willingness to research and thoughtfully consider innovation in fundraising and think creatively about how to achieve goals. S/he will always be looking for new opportunities and win/win partnerships. With a focus on setting and achieving benchmarks toward goals larger, s/he will assume ownership and accountability of his/her responsibilities collegially, working independently and gathering support from the Advancement Team and across the organization where necessary.
The ideal candidate will be a highly intelligent, driven individual with superb written and interpersonal communications skills, a passion for education and a track record of success in his/her previous endeavors. He or she will be extraordinarily gracious and professional, with a high level of comfort interfacing with CEOs, corporate executives and high net worth individuals and their staff.
- In addition, s/he will have the following qualities and skills:
- At least 3-5 years as an executive assistant, project manager, operations manager, preferably in fundraising or with an educational institution
- Demonstrated success as a highly organized team player with immaculate attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated to support the ambitious goals of the VP and the Advancement Team, while keeping the team on track to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate to various constituencies
- Proficient in project management, budgets, and scheduling
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfortable with exceptionally high standards
- Deeply committed to HVA’s mission; willing to be hands-on (no task too big or too small)
- Adept at managing and following through on multiple projects at once, under deadlines and with multiple
- Trustworthiness with highly confidential information