The Museum of Food + Drink (MOFAD) is seeking a Managing Director to grow the organization into the world's first large-scale, independent food museum. As an executive leader in a start-up environment, the Director will be charged with growing and diversifying revenue streams, crafting business plans and financial projections, working with a high-level team on both institutional and fundraising strategy, and preparing to launch a capital campaign.
Strong candidates have expertise in fundraising strategy, financial forecasting and analysis, budget planning, and leadership at the executive level. Additionally, s/he must have an excellent track record as a relationship builder in a start-up environment, able to both lead and execute plans as needed.
All applicants must possess a strong passion for MOFAD’s educational mission and be willing to make a two-year commitment.
- Passion for MOFAD’s educational mission and the concept of food as culture.
- Senior fundraiser excited about securing major funding in a start-up environment
- Business acumen and a love for numbers and budgets
- Impact and results driven with a strong sense of return on invested time and resources
- Thirst to prepare for a large-scale capital campaign
- Entrepreneurial and solutions-oriented approach, able to leap over hurdles
- Ability to see the big picture and simultaneously manage day-to-day details
FUNDRAISING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop fundraising strategy and work plans to significantly grow and sustain MOFAD’s individual, institutional, and corporate funding streams
- Lead preparations for MOFAD’s capital campaign
- Mentor development staff, interns, and volunteers
- Support the Board of Trustees fundraising committee
- Partner with MOFAD’s Executive Director on organizational goals and strategy
- Partner with MOFAD’s Board Chair on board development and fundraising
- Foster a collaborative and rigorous working environment focused on fundraising and capacity building with a small, but creative team
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND OVERSIGHT
- Build and implement multi-year business plan and associated revenue models
- Work with the Executive Director to build MOFAD’s annual operating budget and variance reports
- Liaise with the Board Treasurer and provide the Board with quarterly financial reports
- Oversee contracts for bookkeeping and annual audits until a CFO is hired
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 7+ years experience in business development and fundraising strategy
- Deep experience managing major funding pipelines and proven track record in closing significant gifts or investments, including at least one $100K+ opportunity
- Experience in financial planning and analysis, as well as experience managing a $1M+ budget
- Charismatic communicator and relationship builder
- Thoughtful and motivational leader and mentor
The initial salary will be modest based on MOFAD's start-up status. The position has the potential for aggressive increases and bonuses, based on performance. This is an excellent opportunity to grow with the organization over time.
For more information about MOFAD, please visit: http://www.mofad.org/about-mofad/.
Highly motivated candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.