We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
Membership is the lifeblood of the Human Rights Campaign – our members are the reason we can accomplish so much in the fight for full LGBTQ equality. The Membership Outreach team is tasked with expanding and diversifying HRC’s membership and supporter base through several key fundraising programs: Pride, Community Events, Honorary Gifts, Athletes for Equality and other special projects and initiatives.
The Membership Outreach Communities & Operations Manager is a fast-paced position that includes working directly with HRC’s steering committee volunteers and Board members to achieve their annual membership recruitment and fundraising goals, overseeing the Honorary Gifts fundraising program, contributing to HRC’s broader Membership programs, services & initiatives, and collaborating with the Director to manage the team’s administrative & financial processes.
The position will report to the Director of Membership Outreach. This is full-time position based in Washington, DC. While much of this position’s work will exist in a virtual environment to begin, the position and its responsibilities will develop over the coming year as we emerge from the pandemic, and resume work and outreach at in-person events. At that time, this position will require regular travel.
- Manage a portfolio of HRC volunteer steering committees, guiding their annual work plans of community events and Pride activity and serving as a liaison to engage these communities in national advocacy & fundraising campaigns.
- Cultivate strong relationships with volunteers and Board members, providing on-going coaching, training and conflict management as necessary.
- Serve as lead on the Honorary Gifts fundraising program, developing campaigns, overseeing and refining internal processes, growing the program’s footprint and stewarding and thanking donors.
- Actively participate in elements of all Membership Outreach fundraising programs, including managing the logistics and operations of HRC’s Pride Program, contributing to creative development for initiatives, developing and executing trainings, planning community events, and other duties as assigned.
- Support HRC’s broader Membership Team by participating in social media membership engagement, premium-based fundraising research, and enhancing, stewarding and promoting Facebook Fundraisers.
- Working closely with the Director, collaborate on budgetary, membership and administrative systems and processes for the team, ensuring information received through any Membership Outreach activity is accurately reflected in organizational systems and databases.
- Supervise the Membership Outreach intern.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) with at least three to five years’ relevant work experience.
- Previous administrative and project management experience preferred.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail while working under pressure.
- Proven ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and verbal communication/interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-starter with experience taking initiative, and proven ability to work in a team environment and with multiple stakeholders, while maintaining a professional and responsible manner.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite (Calendar, Mail, Drive) and ability/willingness to learn new programs and software.
- Working knowledge of LGBTQ issues a plus.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.