Title: Operations Manager
Location: Atlanta, GA
Reports To: President/CEO
Classification: Fulltime; Exempt
Start Date: November
Vision: To be the leader of our tomorrow by empowering women businesses today.
Mission: To enhance the competitive value of women business enterprises through certification, education and partnership opportunities.
The Greater Women’s Business Council (GWBC), a nonprofit Women’s Business Organization is about empowering women businesses. Our region is inclusive of Georgia and the Carolinas, the top states of the fastest growing number of women businesses in the country!
Our roster of Corporate Member-Partners includes the nation’s most notable corporate brands. A regional partner organization of the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC), we provide the premiere and most recognized certification for women businesses in the nation.
We are a proven leader and a credible resource dedicated to Inspiring, Engaging and Empowering women businesses, and serving the corporations and government sectors that support them.
At the Greater Women’s Business Council, we strongly believe that the spirit and passion in which we do our work is as important as the work itself. We pride ourselves on making a measurable difference by promoting diversity, innovation and delivering excellence. The successful candidate for this position will also hold these values.
The Operations Manager’s responsibility is to oversee GWBC’s day to day operations, managing the organization’s HR functions, assisting/developing organizational and program/events specific budgets in collaboration with the President and assigned staff.
The Operations Manager reports to the President and serves as a member of the management team. The position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the financial and operational functions of GWBC including staff development and supervision of assigned staff in both Georgia and the Carolinas.
- Improve the operational systems, processes and policies in support of organization’s mission; specifically, support enhanced management reporting, communications flow and management of business processes and strategic planning.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of support services that include Human Resources, IT and Finance.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee overall financial management including: planning, systems and operational controls.
- Management of organization’s budget in coordination with the President.
- Development of individual program budgets that include invoicing to funding sources and collection of funds from those sources.
- Payroll management, including tabulation of accrued employee benefits.
- Disbursement of checks for organization expenses.
- Organization and retention of financial records
- Regular meetings with President around fiscal planning.
- Manage performance of assigned staff in achieving goals, providing technical assistance in program design, development, Women Business Enterprise (WBE) community relations and program operations.
- Assist in planning and implementing a staff development and training program.
- Administer and managed staff performance evaluations. Discuss recommendations and final evaluations with President.
- Support Committees, as assigned. Assist staff and committees as needed during event/programs preparations. “All Hands on Deck” approach
- Participate in activities to maintain good public relations for organization programs, services and activities.
- External: Maintains contact with external WBE/corporate community groups.
- Other duties and functions as assigned.
Responsibilities by Function
Financial Management (25%)
- Develop, manage and direct annual budgeting/planning process for annual budget with President.
- Oversee monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals. Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting.
- Manage processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested. This includes reconciling monthly activity and coordinating with organization CFO and President.
- Assist President and Board in creating annual organizational budget and monitoring cash flow.
- Manage contracts and reimbursement requests.
- Maintain archival and administrative files.
- Administer payroll process and employee benefits and organizational insurance.
- Ensure that Accounting requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
- Develop long-range forecasts and maintain long-range financial plans.
- Develop, maintain and monitor all revenue generating and accounting systems and procedures capturing all billings and receipts and for the recording of all revenue transactions, recommend and implement improvements to systems.
- Prepare and assist with internal audit as needed and be a liaison with outside vendor.
Manage Functions (55%)
- Increase the operational effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services through improvements to each function (HR, IT, Finance) as well as coordination and communication between functions.
- Drive initiatives in the team and organization that contribute to long-term operational excellence.
- Be a liaison on matters related to revenue generation, tax, insurance questions, business structure and growth.
Strategic Planning (15%)
- Oversee the identification and evaluation of opportunities to improve organization effectiveness on the basis of participation and achievement of stated goals; recommends modifications to improve organization performance, as appropriate.
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team
- Organizational Leadership
Risk Management (5%)
- Assist President in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing etc.
- Oversee organizational insurance policies.
Development of a Robust GWBC Community
Modeling of GWBC Guiding Principles
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
A minimum of three years of work experience in operations management and supervision, or an
equivalent combination of experience and education
- Non-profit experience is a preferred
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Proven leader, influential presenter, and meeting facilitator.
• Innovative, independent worker, self-starter who can think quickly and creatively, effectively manage projects with a variety of stakeholders, allocate resources across numerous disciplines, and strategically competing priorities.
• Ability to develop and drive new initiatives, oversee projects to completion and measure
• Ability to understand and discuss topics in a variety of functional areas.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of non-profit organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate operations; in personnel supervision,
the recruitment and retention of key personnel; facilities management; and budget
• Develop effective work teams and motivate individuals to meet goals and objectives and
provide customer services in the most effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with GWBC staff, Board members, Committees, WBE community groups, and other related agencies.
• Excellent verbal, organizational, communication, attention to detail and decision-making skills.
• Excellent problem solver and critical thinker who can synthesize information, ask insightful questions, and spot trends quickly.
• Ability to manage staff environment that may include telecommuting work schedule
• Enthusiastic about the vision and mission of GWBC and a team player.
• High comfort level working in a diverse environment and sensitive to the needs of a diverse staff and
- Commitment to the growth and development of women businesses and the mission
- Strong background and work experience in Finance (At least three (3) years’ experience in Financial Management, Human Resource and managing staff)
- Successful background in working in a small nonprofit or business environment
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in ALL Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point).
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Required to speak and/or make presentations to internal/external groups and events..
- Three (3) plus years’ experience preferred in bookkeeping and QuickBooks online.
- Knowledge of government contract management and knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Excels at operating in a fast pace and flexible community environment
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style.
- Commitment to get the job done
- Ability to respectfully challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view
- Persuasive with details and facts
- Delegate responsibilities effectively
• May work in an environment where multiple projects are being executed simultaneously.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions align with organizational objectives
Language / Computer Skills
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional
journals, technical procedures, HR or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write business reports, stakeholder correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and communicate with a positive presentation
and an excellent telephone presence.
• MS Office proficiency required.
- Required to have and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Human Resource and Organization management certifications preferred.
• Successful background in managing staff who are working remote in other states and staff who may
work in telecommute environment
- May be required to work outside of normal business hours.
- Required travel throughout North Carolina and South Carolina. Additional travel will include national and regional conferences, activities and events. Overnight may equal 30%-40%
Walking, bending, sitting, typing at a keyboard, driving and occasional lifting up to 30 lbs. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medical Dental Insurance (Employer/Employee contributions)
Personal Time Off Days (PTO)
Performance Bonus Opportunity
The Greater Women’s Business Council is an equal opportunity employer.