ABOUT YOUTH UPRISING:
Since it’s opening in 2005, Youth UpRising (YU) has grown from a bare-bones operation to a $6 million organization with a 29-member staff operating in a bustling, 25,000-square-foot, high-tech youth leadership development center including a café, media arts center and health clinic. YU serves Alameda County residents between the ages of 13 and 24 – primarily at-risk youth. Through innovative, culturally relevant programming in the areas of Arts and Expression, Career and Education, Health and Wellness and Social Enterprise. YU attracts an astounding and ever-expanding membership of over 4000 youth.
YU’s mission is rooted in community transformation driven by investments in youth and young adults that result in the personal, social and economic transformation of all residents. YU exists to build healthy, economically robust communities in East Oakland and the surrounding county, creating social change by harnessing the leadership of young people through consciousness raising, personal transformation, hard skill cultivation and leadership development.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Youth UpRising offers the successful President and CEO an opportunity to join an innovative, dynamic organization with a compelling mission and a successful track record of attracting, engaging and serving a high-risk population in strategies for personal, professional and community transformation. In joining YU’s staff, the President and CEO will become part of a high-performing, passionate and diverse team of 29, including indigenous community members, those who are deeply committed to social change and youth who help to keep the organization attuned to the current realities of youth culture.
The new President and CEO will be positioned for significant success and ongoing professional growth as YU looks to chart our course for future growth and greater impact. Programs and practices will be developed and strengthened through strategic planning positioning us for a continued national leadership model in youth development and urban community transformation.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
YU seeks a collaborative and courageous President and CEO to provide visionary leadership and management of YU, its staff and its partnerships ensuring healthy and sustainable growth and strategically positioning YU as a leader in the field of youth leadership development and urban community transformation. The President and CEO will be responsible for all aspects of YU’s programmatic and fiscal management including annual evaluation, fund development, strategic planning and budgeting. The President and CEO will maintain and grow successful and productive local, regional and national community relationships. The President and CEO will represent YU's organizational goals and values in a clear and inspiring manner and assure that the organization has a long-term strategy to achieve its mission in alignment with its values.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES include:
- Internal Management
- Community & Media Relations
- Financial Planning & Management
- Fundraising & Funder Relations
- Event & Vendor Management
- ORGANIZATIONAL MANAGEMENT – A minimum of four years of senior management experience including a budget of $3 million or more and leading fund development, financial management and contract negotiations; Prior experience as an Executive Director of a publicly/privately funding nonprofit organization is preferred
- EDUCATION – A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in areas such as youth development, social justice, public policy or business administration is required (Eight years or more of professional experience may be considered in lieu of a degree); Master’s degree is a plus
- SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT – Experience creating effective organizational infrastructure including programmatic framework and systems for evaluation, financial management and core operations; Demonstrated commitment to integrate methods for leadership development
- MESSAGING – Strong capacity for and experience with public speaking and knowledge of campaign development
- EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Exceptional communication skills including the ability to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose documents and present data clearly and concisely
- POLITICAL KNOWLEDGE – Of the City, County, State and Federal landscape including issues of funding, public safety, programmatic collaborations and best practices for community transformation
- YOUTH LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCE – Demonstrated capacity to work with youth; Articulated philosophy and commitment to youth leadership development; Programmatic experience
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE – Over five years of experience training, managing and developing a diverse team of leaders
- PROGRAM MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE – Experience planning, developing, managing and evaluating programs
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE – Demonstrated experience organizing and managing events and campaigns
- PERSONAL CAPACITY – Capacity to serve as a role model with commitment to behavior that uplifts youth and fosters transformation
- AVAILABILITY – Some evenings or weekends
- COMMUNITY ORGANIZING – Experience a plus
- BILINGUAL – Spanish proficiency a plus