Under the direct supervision of the Program Director and the daily direction of the Lead Recreation Specialist, this position is responsible for assisting in supporting the physical and social needs of participants through the development, facilitation, and evaluation of recreational activities; assisting participants with personal cares; and providing direction to program volunteers.
- Develop, prepare, and facilitate individual, small, and large group activities that are meaningful, purposeful and of interest to program participants ensuring a person-centered activity program.
- Adapt and grade all activities based on participant’s strengths.
- Promote respect and choice for all participants.
- Follow and implement recreational activities and personal cares according to each participant’s care plan.
- Provide daily assist with the implementation of proper use of body mechanics with participant’s mobility, transfer, and safety needs.
- Monitor and report changes in participant’s condition and behavior to appropriate staff and formal supports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Establish a supportive relationship with each participant and their supports.
- Attend and participate in meetings addressing participant’s progress with individualized goals and outcomes.
- Assist in coordination, orientation, training, and oversight of program volunteers.
- Comply within program budget when planning events and purchasing program supplies.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely and accurate manner according to DHS, COA, and Catholic Charities Adult Day Center standards.
- Participate in ongoing training and professional development as outlined in DHS annual continuing education standards and Catholic Charities Adult Day Center program manual.
- Manage general operations and inventory of the kitchen in Adult Day Center Assistant’s absence.
- Associate degree in health care or recreation field
- One or more years of experience planning and implementing organized recreational activities with older adults who have physical and/or cognitive disabilities, mental health diagnosis, or dementia/Alzheimer’s.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to lift 25 to 50 pounds and tolerate medium to high physical effort including walking, standing, stooping, squatting, bending, reaching, pushing, and /or pulling.
- Ability to follow directions, organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Effectively collaborate and problem solve with co-workers to ensure quality care.
- Ability to understand and follow individual participant care plans.
- Ability to assist with personal cares and activities of daily living skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to respectfully approach and provide positive redirection for individuals who have various diagnoses.
- Ability to be flexible and meet the needs of participants and the program.
Changing Lives. Serving All. Employing All. The heart of our mission is compassionate, caring services for the poor and vulnerable.
Catholic Charities was founded in 1946 and is a private, nonprofit organization serving people in an 11 county area in south-central Wisconsin. The agency helps people of all ages deal with mental health issues, face transitions in life, reach for their potential despite special challenges, heal from abuse or addiction and secure emergency services. In 2014, 30,000 people benefited from agency programs provided by 330 employees and 1,000+ volunteers.
We serve those in need regardless of religion, race, social or economic status. We serve and employ persons regardless of sexual orientation, religious, ethnic, racial or social background. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
Employees enjoy a supportive work environment and competitive pay. Full-time employees are eligible for health and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement savings plan, health cafeteria plan, sick pay and generous paid vacation time. Retirement plan offered to part-time employees working 20+ hours per week, as well as pro-rated sick and vacation time.
Catholic Charities is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.