Thank you for your interest in working for Citizen Action of New York! We’re excited to hear from you and to get to know you through this process. The Deputy Communications Director will join a growing team of passionate, dedicated communications staff and interact with staff across the organization to drive a grassroots, leadership-development organizing strategy to build the power to win in communities across New York.
A little about us…
We are a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. We organize in communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics and taxing the rich. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and campaigns fighting for bold policy changes.
We’re looking to add to our team an experienced Deputy Communications Director REMOTE in NYS. This position will be reporting to the Communications Director.
This dynamic, fast-paced role takes an individual dedicated to high quality work ethic and a desire to help others while furthering the movement. Success will take skills such as strong prioritization ability, organization skills with perseverance, and a solutions-oriented approach to the work.
Citizen Action of New York takes pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
- Manage a communications team consisting of a Digital Campaigns Coordinator, Media Strategist and Regional Communications Coordinator
- Providing effective mentoring, coaching, support, and guidance
- Oversee the organization’s day to day press and digital communications strategy
- Work with the communications staff of partner organizations to implement joint communications strategies that advance coalition goals
- Manage communications department team meetings and cross-departmental meetings
- Assist in ensuring coordination across departments to achieve organizational goals
- Draft and maintain updated messaging guides on each of our campaigns to inform communications content across the organization
- Edit and/or draft press releases, statements, op-eds and copy for digital content as needed
- Build relationships with state and national reporters
- Identify opportunities daily for rapid response communications and work with the communications team to implement them
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience including developing and managing strategic communications, media relations, volunteer, internships and marketing programs spanning those minimum 5 years.
- Minimum 2 years of direct supervisory experience
- Demonstrated experience managing communications for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar
- Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills, as well as the ability to make complex policy proposals and concepts accessible and compelling
- Experience developing relationships with members of the press, fielding press inquiries, writing press releases and successfully pitching stories to the media
- An eye for graphic design and experience effectively managing an organizational brand identity
- Familiarity with the following tools: CRMs (ActionNetwork, EveryAction/VAN), digital advocacy, story collection, Google Suite applications (mail, calendar), Asana, Slack.
- Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to comprehensive mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
- Supporting remote work for eligible employees
Salary: The salary range for this position is $62,500- $72,500 depending on experience. NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.