A little about us…
We are a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. We organize in communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics and taxing the rich. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and campaigns fighting for bold policy changes.
We’re looking to add to our team an experienced Statewide Organizer REMOTE in NYS. This position will be supporting our Education and Child Care campaigns and reporting to the Legislative Director.
This dynamic, fast-paced role takes an individual dedicated to high quality work ethic and a desire to help others while furthering the movement. Success will take skills such as strong prioritization ability, organization skills with perseverance, and a solutions-oriented approach to the work.
Citizen Action of New York takes pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
- Support the development and implementation of education and child care justice campaigns strategy;
- Public education & issue education of staff and member-leaders across all regions;
- Support the training and leadership development of people directly impacted in regions across the state;
- Coordinate campaign operations with coalition and organizational partnerships;
- Assist in drafting and editing campaign materials, talking points, organizer toolkits, and other advocacy documents;
- Help to coordinate, plan, and execute internal & external meetings, webinars and strategy sessions;
- Organize action days, actions, mobilizations, phone banks, media coverage and other activities as part of our education and child care campaigns;
- Support social media and digital organizing strategy.
- Regularly communicate campaign updates and needs to staff, members and volunteers
- Perform administrative duties including scheduling of meetings, composing routine correspondence, note taking, tracking of key legislation.
- Coordinate, plan, and execute internal & external meetings and public events.
- Plan and organize direct actions and events on a consistent basis ensuring that leadership takes part in all aspects of these activities.
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- Three to five or more years of experience organizing issue and /or electoral campaigns;
- Highly organized and able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Experienced in working with a diverse coalition of grassroots, policy, elected and advocacy partners;
- Have various communication skills including verbal and written;
- Have the ability for regular statewide travel, including having a reliable car;
- Have an understanding that this is a marathon not a race! This role needs to be filled by someone who has the ability to work evenings and weekends, and still prioritize self care and leaning in to open communication with the team.
- Experience working in education, early childhood education, and/or child care policy, organizing, or advocacy.
- Familiarity with the following tools: CRMs (ActionNetwork, EveryAction/VAN), digital advocacy, story collection, Google Suite applications (mail, calendar), Asana, Slack.
- Demonstrated experience organizing campaigns for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar organization.
- Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to comprehensive mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
- Supporting remote work for eligible employees
Salary: The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000 depending on experience.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.