This position will coordinate closely with multiple nonprofit and fiscal sponsor organization clients that Arabella manages, including the 501(c)(3) New Venture Fund and 501(c)(4) Sixteen Thirty Fund. The position will provide counsel to our account teams – who with nonprofit clients – on federal tax law, state nonprofit corporation law, governance, charitable solicitation, planned giving, donor advised funds, and other compliance issues that arise in the day-to-day management of tax-exempt organizations. Additionally, this position will need to support Arabella’s General Counsel in managing the relationship with the nonprofit organizations’ staff, Senior Leadership, and Board of Directors on matters related to nonprofit tax law.
The Senior Counsel will also provide nonprofit tax law expertise to Arabella staff working with a variety of clients, including private foundations, family and individual philanthropists, and other nonprofits, on the design and development of organizational structures necessary to achieve their philanthropic objectives. This position will also contribute to consulting projects by applying their extensive expertise and knowledge to inform deliverables, educate staff, and ensure we are meeting a consistently high standard of quality.
Client Services (~40%)
- Serve in the General Counsel’s Office as the lead lawyer on nonprofit tax law matters.
- Provide sound legal advice and collaborate with staff to creatively problem-solve on nonprofit corporate and tax issues in order to get to “yes.”
- Provide nonprofit tax law expertise to staff and clients related to fiscal sponsorship project work, including advising on federal tax law, contracts, grants, subgrants, nonprofit solicitation, sales tax, and all other issues regulated by state and federal law that may impact the tax status of a nonprofit.
- Coordinate legal matters and decisions with the managed nonprofit organizations’ (MNPOs) general counsel, including representing Arabella’s position on nonprofit tax law matters, negotiating legal decisions to better serve clients, and communicating MNPO legal decisions to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Provide legal expertise to staff and clients as part of the firm’s Advisory business and ChangeWorks practice, including identifying the appropriate operational structure (e.g., 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), LLC, etc.) for new nonprofit entities and providing legal support in setting them up.
- Provide legal expertise in setting up new fiscal sponsorship entities or MNPOs as needed to meet client needs.
- Work with external counsel as necessary to address capacity or technical knowledge gaps.
- Identify and develop curricula for staff training on legal rules and compliance procedures relevant to this position’s expertise.
- Advise and support General Counsel in monitoring and evaluating risk to Arabella related to this position’s areas of expertise.
- Assist General Counsel with nonprofit corporate governance issues, including on policy changes, board meetings, and bylaw interpretations.
- Coordinate with colleagues on the legal team to provide comprehensive legal services to achieve Arabella and client goals.
Business Development (~40%)
- Advise the business development team on areas relevant to expertise and provide support for relevant sales strategies.
- Provide general information about legal issues related to client scopes, including charitability, governance, private foundation rules, and other technical areas.
- Participate in meetings with potential funders/donors to identify the best nonprofit entity and approach for proposed scopes of work.
- Collaborate with client service and business development leadership to identify viable opportunities to launch new products and services and/or adapt existing services to new and existing markets.
- Help build Arabella’s field leadership and visibility in areas of expertise, including contributing to thought leadership and representing the firm at conferences and events.
Strategy and Service Development (~20%)
- Support the General Counsel in developing and implementing strategies to achieve outcomes set by executive leadership for the practice.
- Stay abreast of developments in nonprofit corporate and tax issues to inform all aspects of the firm’s business and to develop new and refresh existing services.
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- J.D. and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction.
- At least 7 years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of nonprofit corporate and tax law and field credibility in areas of expertise.
- Experience advising client service or working within nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated creativity in addressing client needs.
- Experience advising and problem-solving for clients on complex legal issues related to a wide range of philanthropic vehicles including private foundations, public charities, supporting organizations, donor-advised funds, hybrid organizations, and other strategies to achieve philanthropic objectives.
- Experience collaborating, managing, and communicating across various internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with senior and executive leadership.
- Comfort with sales and service development.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and a proven ability to work inclusively with diverse teams, audiences, and stakeholders.
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced environment and balance responding to immediate opportunities with maintaining a strategic, long-term perspective.
- A light-hearted and flexible approach to work.
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards.
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying, and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates.
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers.
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing.
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others.
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Working with Us
While this position must be based in one of Arabella's office locations (either San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; Durham, NC; or New York, NY), please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors' offices are closed, and we remain a remote-first organization until further notice. We have a strong firm culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. To that end, once our offices reopen it is our expectation that all staff will generally work from the office according to a schedule agreed upon with their supervisor.
We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography. You’ll start with 18 days of vacation, 10 days of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday. Our competitive health package includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance, and our retirement package includes a 401(k) plan that is fully vested from day one. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.