ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and Agency personnel.
- Fully engages in educational, behavioral services to ensure that all students are receiving an appropriate and complete educational program.
- Provides safe, attractive, organized, functional, healthy and clean environments for students.
- Implements school policies, procedures and/or processes for the purpose of complying with mandated requirements.
- Uses effective presentation skills when addressing students, staff, parents and the community including appropriate vocabulary and clear use of visuals.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural diversity of others.
- Adheres to professional, ethical and legal standards of practice when addressing students, staff, parents and the community.
Supervises students throughout the school day while carrying out assigned, individualized, educational and therapeutic programs both within and outside the classroom setting including: necessary lifting; moving; positioning; gross motor; fine motor; range of motion; therapeutic pool program; self care; communication; therapeutic feeding; cognitive; prevocational; Activities of Daily Living (ADL); Specially Designed Physical Education; behavior management programs; data collection systems; and/or reinforcement systems.
Provides behavioral support for students as assigned, including implementing agency approved emergency physical interventions.
Assists in creating and maintaining a positive educational atmosphere, including the health, medical and safety concerns of the students.
Respectfully interacts with students in an age-appropriate manner, maintaining their right for privacy, dignity, and confidentiality at all times.
Upon completion of structured activities, demonstrates initiative and maintains an effective level of interaction with students during transition.
Handles and utilizes student equipment appropriately.
Assists in the maintenance and care of the classroom, equipment, materials and program activities area.
Observes students’ performance, records relevant data, and provides the classroom teacher with general information and observations concerning students’ needs, behavior and performance.
Effectively and appropriately interacts and communicates with classroom and professional team members while maintaining the integrity of the students, staff and agency.
Assists in the preparation of classroom projects and materials, including setting up and putting away.
Assists the students with individual and small group activities under the direction of Teacher/Designee.
Carries out any other classroom related activities directed by the Teacher, Clinicians, or Designee.
Assists in creating and maintaining positive work relationships.
Respectfully interacts and takes direction from the Teacher, Teacher Aide IIs, Teacher Assistants, Clinicians, Education Supervisor, or Designee.
Politely and appropriately interacts with parents, caregivers, or other visitors to the agency and directs the individual to the appropriate party.
Other duties may be assigned.
Shift Details: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Part time employment will only be available to candidates with previous experience working here at Mary Cariola Center.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Applicant must be able to demonstrate they have achieved a Local/Regents High School diploma or Equivalency Diploma issued by a local school district or State Education Department. This achievement will be verified directly with the issuing entity; and three (3) to six (6) months related experience is preferred.