Position Title: Vice President, Programs & Field Operations
Department: Programs & Field Operations
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
This position carries responsibilities for leading the overall performance of NOWCC’s Programs and Field operations which deliver flexible, responsive experienced worker programs to our federal client agencies. The Vice President, Programs & Field Operations provides advice and counsel to the COO, carries out key projects and activities, and is an active participant in the Management Team. This role is also critical to promoting the growth of an expanded portfolio of experienced worker programs in government agencies. The Vice President will have direct involvement in the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plans, and will help design, develop and deploy tactics and activities to achieve the NOWCC Vision, Mission, Strategic Goals and Priorities. The Vice President is actively engaged in the coordination, management, and planning for NOWCC Programs & Field operations and ensuring these are supported by and integrated with all NOWCC functions. To be successful in the role, the Vice President must balance the workload, staff and resources of emerging and solid programs and be actively committed to empowering and engaging staff around NOWCC’s core values: Teamwork, Customer Focus, and Professional Competency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Lead and oversee the operations and activities of NOWCC’s Programs and the Field structure to deliver effective, responsive and flexible experienced worker programs to our client federal agencies, to achieve our Mission and accomplish our Strategic Goals.
- Provide Program staff with guidance and assistance on enrollee conduct and performance issues, with the assistance of the Manager, Human Resources, and General Counsel, as appropriate.
- Play a leading role in NOWCC efforts to expand the utilization of experienced worker programs within current client agencies and to increase the number of agencies using programs provided by NOWCC.
- Lead and participate on staff teams directed at enhancing program effectiveness, business growth and staff development. These will include teams to: review the current systems supporting the Programs & Field, understand the needs of the client agencies, and design and implement plans to better integrate current and future systems to best support the Programs and client agencies; review and improve the efficiency of systems supporting the Programs; attract and recruit highly qualified candidates for enrollee positions; etc.
- Provide oversight of Programs and Field operations to assure compliance with NOWCC’s grants and agreements. Be knowledgeable about Cooperative Agreements, Grants, Contracts and Agreements with client agencies, and the reports and other information required to meet the clients’ expectations and needs.
- Lead and coordinate NOWCC activities to improve communication, to tell ‘our story’ with key external audiences (e.g., prospective client agencies, experienced workers, and the general public) by expanding the use of digital resources and promoting ‘the value of experience.’
- Develop and maintain contact and liaison with older worker organizations, prospective client agencies, aging organizations and the public, with attention to working with other organizations for joint ventures, recruitment, practices and resources.
- Travel to various locations to meet with agency staff, NOWCC staff and enrollees to review and improve the delivery of Programs. Along with Program Directors, represent NOWCC in enrollee recognition and appreciation events and activities.
- Serve on the Management Team, to further the growth of NOWCC, to ensure the timely flow of information and funds to/from the Programs, to ensure the delivery of the best customer service to our clients, and to promote staff development and opportunities.
- Establish and maintain standards of professionalism and integrity that reflect a positive image upon NOWCC, the client agencies, experienced workers and the non-profit sector.
- Assist the COO in achieving organizational objectives and priorities through the timely and reasoned input into key decisions and planning.
- Perform other duties as assigned and the position description is subject to change at any time.
Directly supervises the Director, EPA SEE & FWS ESP, Director, USDA ACES & ESP; Director, DOI & DOL ESP, and the Programs and Field Operations Coordinator. Provides overall leadership to, and support for, NOWCC staff in the Programs and Field offices. Carries responsibility for the Program Directors and offices to comply with NOWCC policies and practices, and all applicable personnel laws and regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Minimum travel is required to regional offices to support NOWCC’s programs and field operations. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
- General understanding of the federal grants processes and administration of grants in
- Non- governmental organizations (NGO’s). Recent direct experience with federally funded programs is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated sales and marketing experience.
- Demonstrated and progressive experience in leadership, supervision and team management as well as working on teams.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, public speaking and working with media.
- Experience in providing training to individuals, teams and large groups.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic and operational business plans, to successfully grow and evolve programs.
- Competence in using current technology applications and business related programs and software.
- Recent experience in successfully developing and implementing communication strategies, plans and activities for programs, non-profits, or other ventures.
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to lead initiatives, projects, staff development and program improvement activities and partnering with the COO.
- Demonstrated experience in interpersonal skills, negotiations, problem solving and conflict resolution.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Personnel Administration, Program Management, Marketing and Sales, Communications, Business or a related field. An advanced degree in one of these areas is highly desirable.
A minimum of 15 years of leadership and supervisory experience in a combination of any or all of the following areas: expanding programs within the government, managing human resources programs, non-profit organizational management, leading experienced (older) worker programs, general program management, and/or human capital program development and implementation.
Recent experience and knowledge of federal human resources programs, to include knowledge of missions and functions of federal agencies.
A Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate is highly desirable.
Physical requirements include the dexterity to reach, stand, climb, move, finger keyboards, lift light loads, and the ability to also function in a stationary position. Minimum travel is required to regional offices to support NOWCC’s programs and field operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to tforbert@NOWCC.org